Thursday, June 04, 2009

Potty Training???

Warning: Bathroom content!!!

Lately Wesley has been showing a lot of interest in the potty which has caught me completely off guard. He is 21 months old and Darcy was over 2 before we started any sort of training with her. All the conventional "wisdom" that you hear says that boys start later than girls so I hadn't really given potty training any serious thought yet.

However, over the past couple of weeks, Wesley has been fascinated with the potty. He's always wanting to sit on there so we've been letting him, with no sort of "action" happening. Yesterday I was making supper when he walked into the kitchen and started tugging on his diaper. I told him I didn't have time to take him to the potty but apparently that answer didn't satisfy him. He then took off his pants. I figured he meant business. I took him upstairs and put him on the potty and what do you know, he peed! He was pretty proud of himself, you could tell.

Last night was a night when I go out before Nick gets home from work with a babysitter in between. When I got home Nick was all excited to tell me that Wesley had peed on the potty before bathtime. I had to rain on his parade and tell him that it wasn't the first time. Then when I got Wesley out of bed this morning I put him on the potty again and he peed again (although this time more got on the floor than in the toilet). I can't believe it.

I don't really think this is the real thing yet. I could be wrong but I'm not sure that he's ready for full potty training. I'm not pushing the issue but if he's going to start taking off his pants in the kitchen then I'll take him to the bathroom. Oh, what would I give to be able to stop buying diapers forever!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Lynn said...

Wow! Him showing interest is a really good step, even if he doesn't do it consistanly at his age.

I still find myself noticing diapers/training pants on sale and then remembering--oh yeah, we're done. Hard to get out of that mindset--but nice!

2:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was fairly warned - why didn't I turn away? Why?!

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home