Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Earthquake!!!

Just when I try to sneak in an afternoon nap, I get woken up by an earthquake!

I had a bit of a headache this afternoon and didn't really have anything pressing on my agenda so when I put Wesley down for a nap I decided to have a little rest myself. Around 1:45 I started to hear some loud rumbling noises and the house started to shake. Our house is under the Ottawa airport flight path so we get several loud planes going overhead every day. A neighbour told me that there are sometimes some really big planes that shake the houses, especially when there are visiting dignitaries here. There had been a big deal on the news this morning about the Chinese president coming to Ottawa today so I thought it was his plane. I went to Darcy's room to look out the window and see what I could see. This whole time the noise and shaking is getting louder and stronger. I can hear dishes rattling in the cupboards.

There were no planes in sight and the house was still shaking. I looked into the backyard and the kiddie pool I had just filled had waves in it. This is when the word, "earthquake" first crossed my mind. But that seemed ridiculous. I thought they would only happen on the west coast. I went out the front door to see what was going on. Many of the neighbours were outside and everyone was saying the same thing. "Earthquake". I couldn't believe it. People were definitely shaken up (pun not intended). A woman a few doors down noticed a crack in her window that hadn't been there before.

I tried calling Nick at his office but got no answer. As soon as I hung up the phone rang and it was him on his cell phone. All of the buildings in downtown Ottawa were being evacuated and he was out on the street. He had first thought there was a bomb downtown but soon learned the real story. They ended up sending everyone home. He's actually just gone back downtown now because his bike lock key was left in his office so he couldn't ride his bike home. He got a ride with a friend and has gone to get his bike now.

I was worried about Darcy at school. I thought she would be scared. When the time came to get her off the school bus I asked her what she thought about the earthquake and she said she didn't feel a thing. I don't know how that is possible. The other kids all said they felt it, but Darcy felt nothing. Sometimes that girl really is in her own little world!

Wesley slept through the whole thing. He has talked about his bed shaking but I'm not sure if he really felt that or has just heard all of us talking.

Darcy had two friends from up the street come over to play this afternoon. I was talking to their Mom when she came to get them. She's from Haiti and has a brother whose body was pulled from the rubble and a sister she hasn't heard from since February. I'll admit I was pretty scared this afternoon, but after talking to her I just felt so grateful. There is no major damage here. I haven't heard of any major injuries. It could have been a lot worse.

1 Comments:

Blogger Glenda said...

I can imagine that it must have been pretty scary. My next door neighbour (you probably heard me speak of her) told me that she felt it. I have a hard time believing very much of what she says anyway. LOL! I didn't feel a thing, but that doesn't mean anything. It's good that Darcy didn't feel it. She might have been scared. Wesley is so funny. Yes Sue, you are right.....when you put it all in prespective with the Haiti disaster, this was nothing - THANK GOD!

Good luck on your second interview!

12:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home