Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Real Beauty

I'm not normally one for doing free advertising for companies, but I'm really into Dove's campaign for real beauty. It's all about getting women to see the beauty within themselves, rather than trying to make themselves fit into some sort of cookie-cutter, magazine cover image of what we've been told beauty is.

I got an email from Dove this morning, I guess I'm on their list after ordering a free shirt from them. The email gave a link to this film. It's a quick little two-minute film talking to a bunch of girls probably between the ages of about 9-18. Each of them is talking about how they're made to feel because of their weight, or their looks and the pressures they feel as a result. It's shocking to hear how some of these girls are feeling at such a young age.

Weight issues are a very sensitive topic for me. Careless comments about peoples' weight can do a lifetime of damage to that person's opinion of themselves. I hate that this is the kind of world in which I'm raising my daughter.

So if you've got a couple of minutes, watch the film. Awareness can only help!

1 Comments:

Blogger Krista said...

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. I am right there with you! I've been a fan of this campaign since it began. My body-image issues have plagued me since childhood, and it's an ongoing struggle - as it is for many women. I hope advertising like this might allow young girls like Darcy to grow up in a less judgemental world! Well done Dove!

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home