Thursday, January 29, 2009

Catching Up and My New Exercise Routine

So I seem to have slowed down a bit on my blogging. There are a few reasons for this. A big one is Wesley. He's constantly climbing and getting into trouble. It makes it hard for me to sit down at the computer to get somthing like done. He's sitting on the couch with Darcy right now so I'm trying to squeeze in a quick post right now. Another reason is that a lot of the stuff I've been thinking about over the past few weeks revolves around Nick's job and it's just a lot of stuff that can't be written about in a forum like this so I haven't really had much else to say.

I will say that Nick is now back from his three weeks of training in Ottawa and are we ever glad! While Nick was away the toilet broke, the computer broke, the hot water heater got replaced and then the new one started leaking, we had tons of snow and Wesley got sick. It was a lot of stuff to deal with while he was away so that's another reason why I didn't write much. It all got dealt with but I had a lot of headaches as a result!

Nick had a few days off after returning home and has now been back at his 11+ hour days for a few days now.

If you've been following my blog for a while then you'll know that fitness has always been an issue for me. I'm a naturally thin person so the motivation to exercise has always been lacking for me. However, now that I'm in the later half of my 30's, the need to exercise and stay in shape is really becoming apparent to me. I tried running but it was never fun for me. I completed my one and only 5K run and I felt great about that, but I never got the enjoyment from running that I needed to stay motivated to keep doing it. Running was always a chore for me and that made it hard to do, especially in bad weather. I needed to find something else.

This past fall our church started a new exercise group and the idea appealed to me right from the start. It uses a DVD put out by a woman named Leslie Sansone and it is a walking based program. Following the DVD you walk on the spot at home with some upper body stuff mixed in along the way. Small weights or resistance bands are used to make it more of a whole body workout. I knew from the first time I tried it that this was much more the type of exercise I could get into. The group at church makes me more accountable and it makes it fun to go there and exercise with others, from young moms to a woman in her 80's (who is one of the greatest women I've ever met in my life). Because of Nick's schedule I'm not always able to get there so I bought a different DVD to use at home. My own DVD is a much more intense workout than the one we use at church (3 miles instead of the option of 1, 2 or 3 where we were doing 1 hoping to soon increase to 2). It uses resistance bands which I'm hoping will help with toning my arms and upper body. I plan to use it a few times a week while Wesley is sleeping and hopefully it will help keep me in shape.

That's about it for now. I've got to go get Wesley off the stairs!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Finding something that works for you is key. Although, I would argue that chasing after MonkeyBoy was plenty of exercise already.

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know what stuck out most for me in this post? When you said "now that I'm in the later half of my 30's". I've realized before that I was too, but to see it written down....Yikes!

I have no motivation for an exercise program. I guess kids are my exercise program right now. My monkey boy doesn't require as much chasing anymore though.

I guess I do walk about a total of 2km/day with the walk to and from school. It's at a 3 yr old's pace mind you, but better then nothing, I guess.

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home