Sunday, February 24, 2008

A Privilege

On Friday night I heard through a mutual friend that our friend Andrea, who I wrote about before, only had hours to live. On Saturday night we got the message that she had passed away. Her husband emailed to let us know that she had passed away peacefully, surrounded by her family. She hadn't been conscious for a couple of days.

Andrea would have been 32 years old on April 1st. Her son, Nolan, is 3 1/2 years old. Lincoln isn't quite two. She and Allan have been married for about 5 years but were together longer than that. She was a wonderful mother and loved her boys more than anything. She was a passionate schoolteacher as well, but she had to give that up during her illness.

She was a great friend. I didn't know her long (just the 3 1/2 years since our oldest kids were born) but I still felt like I knew her well.

There's really not much more to say than what a tragic loss this is. I was privileged to know her and to have her count me as a friend. I, along with countless others, will miss her.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've looked at this post two or three times, thinking about what to put in my comment.

I've never met Andrea, but since seeing her picture here, I can't get her image out of my mind. I imagine the picture was taken before she was sick, but she looks so young and beautiful and vibrant. A great smile.

Cancer is terrible at any age, but I still find it hard to grasp when it takes someone so young. Someone with a family depending on her, a career, and many other things, I'm sure.

As Sue-Ann said in the earlier post about Andrea, for most of us, it makes our 'problems' look insignificant.

Thanks for sharing her story with us Sue.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Sue-Ann said...

All I can say is - Praying for her husband and children.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Yvette said...

I didn't know Andrea either, but kept up with her battle via the Facebook group page you mentioned. It's so sad.

I agree with Lynn about the picture: what a gorgeous young woman she was!

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home