Friday, February 01, 2008

In the Vault

Darcy has recently discovered my old stash of Disney movies on VHS. I've got Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, The Lion King and a few more. She loves them, especially Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast.

These are some seriously old VHS tapes and they were damaged when the apartment that Jerilee and I shared flooded many years ago. They still work, they're just not in great shape. The picture jumps around from time to time and the sound isn't good.
I'd like to update them to DVD but apparently Disney has some sort of policy about only having some of their movies available for purchase at any given time. The rest are "in the Disney Vault" whatever that means. I heard in December that Cinderella was going to be going in the vault at the end of January so I managed to get a copy of that before it went away. However, Beauty and the Beast is unavailable and that is Darcy's absolute favourite. Every time I put the video tape in I'm afraid it's going to snap in the machine, ruining it permanently. Yet for some reason I can't buy a copy on DVD. It has been available on DVD in the past but it has been removed from the shelves now. Does anyone know why they do this?

I've checked on eBay and there are some available but they seem to be going for some pretty high prices. Higher than I'd be willing to pay anyway. I've checked some second hand stores around here and have found nothing. It's very frustrating. I just want my daughter to be able to watch her favourite movie!

She loves to act out Cinderella right now too. Last year I bought her a pair of dress up shoes from Value Village and those have become her "glass slippers". She'll dance around in them, then let one fall off. She'll then go through the whole house trying the shoes on Nick and I and often her toys to see who they fit, when of course, they only "fit" her.

This morning while I was eating breakfast I heard her say, "Mommy, Daddy, the glass slipper fits Wesley!" This is what we saw...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the Wesley glass slipper!

The "Disney Vault" is a sales gimmick/scare tactic. Here's Wiki's definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Vault

We don't have any Disney on DVD yet. We gave up being nervous about the vault!

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is so cute!!!!
I will look around here...see if I can find one!

12:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Poor Wesley! Better have a good therapist on hand when he's old enough to realise the torture he's been through ;)

7:24 PM  
Blogger Yvette said...

You never know, he might like these shoes in 20 years...

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you looked at Amazon.ca? They have a lot of the "vaulted" Disney classics for a fairly reasonable price. And Amazon's shipping is really quick, too. Just a thought. :)

~Kathleen

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home