Friday, January 11, 2008

Shopping Joy

I took the kids to the mall yesterday to get a few errands done while Nick was sleeping. One of the errands was to get me something to wear for Wesley's dedication next week. I don't have any skirts that I can get done up anymore.

We went into Laura which can be a touch and go store for me. They generally have a good mix of clothes for younger women and older women, but sometimes it seems to me that it's just geared toward older women.

As soon as we got in the store, Darcy started picking up skirts and tops of the lower racks and saying, "What about this, Mommy?" or "This is really pretty." or "This would look beautiful on you, Mommy!" It was hilarious. I should have stuck with her because the associate who attached herself to me was clueless.

I told her that we were having my son's dedication next week and that I don't fit into any of my old clothes. She got right on it and started showing me different things. I was still trying to find things I liked but she kept trying to drag me away to stuff she liked. The thing is, she was only showing me things that I would consider to be their stuff for older women. There was an 80-year old woman shopping next to me, to prove my point. The associate found a top she liked and showed it to me, I told her it wasn't my style. Undaunted she started flipping through and said, "We only have small, medium and large in this style. There are no extra large." I wanted to scream, "Have you even looked at me????" I finally told her I had seen something I liked on a different rack and went back to get it myself.

When I tried on the stuff I had, the skirt didn't fit. I really liked the top I had found and decided to get that but I needed to go somewhere else to get a skirt to match. I didn't want to give the woman any commission but the shirt was pretty reasonable, so she didn't get much. Darcy got really distressed then saying, "Mommy, you need to get the skirt too. You can't go to Wesley's special church day without a skirt on!" My good little helper. I managed to find a skirt with a clued in associate at the next store. Sometimes I hate shopping.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I forgot to mention that she also didn't tell me that my purchase was a final sale until after the transaction was completed. Not cool.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know 'Laura' was still around. I've only been in once, for a 'Ladies Night Out' fashion show, to try on my outfit to model. I think it was actually 'Laura Petites' too, hence me being chosen to model!

I guess "I don't fit in my clothes anymore" means XL for many people, but the associate obviously never looked at you!! Your 'post natal' size is still much smaller then many women who are not post natal, or who are many years post natal!

Glad you finally managed to find something you like. I can never find dressy clothes either. I'm still wearing my really old stuff!

12:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Seriously - 'extra large'?! You gave that sales associate too much credit. I would've just turned and left.

Guess that means you need a trip to Montreal expressly for shopping purposes. We could hit Simons, Zara, BCBG, Maxaria, plus the usuals like The Bay (surprising what you can find), Jacob, San Francisco, Bedo, etc.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Sue-Ann said...

I'm not even going to comment on the extra-large comment...my goodness, she had to have been blind. (Ok so I did comment!) :-) But I'm glad Darcy made note that you can't go to church with just a blouse on!!!

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home