Thursday, December 20, 2007

Christmas Thoughts

Well, Nick's shift change was approved so we will be in Cambridge for Christmas after all. We're diappointed to not be joining his family in Switzerland this Christmas but there were just too many factors against us for that one. I'm just really glad we'll be with my family instead of on our own in Windsor.

I've got all my baking done, I think. Darcy and I had decided to put a collection of our baking together to give to our next door neighbour who Darcy loves. He's really the best neighbour you could ask for, especially when you consider that we have to share the driveway. He gives us fresh flowers from his garden all summer long and constantly gives our kids presents. He doesn't celebrate Christmas so I wasn't quite sure what to do so I thought some cookies would be a good thing. We bought a nice box to wrap the cookies up in but we haven't given them to him yet. Then the other night we were heading outside and he was in his driveway. Darcy saw him and called out, "We're going to give you some cookies!" I told her that was meant to be a surprise. He just laughed and assured us that he would be very surprised.

I think we've finished all our shopping now. I got the final stuff for stockings this morning. How did people ever do stockings before Dollarama? I struggled this year because Darcy only had 4 things on her "Santa list". An art table (she saw a specific one at Costco and oddly enough we had already decided to get it for her before she saw it), dress-up clothes, trucks and trains. I don't want her to think she's always going to get everything on her list, because I don't imagine her list will always only include 4 things. So I wasn't sure if I should get everything or not. I did. The truck and train were each bought at Dollarama so it's not like I broke the bank on them. It's a tough call. We're trying to teach her that Christmas is about giving, not just getting (giving to the Salvation Army kettles, can drives and that sort of thing) so it's a fine balance. I'm a little concerned that she's already looking for items to put on next year's list!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You're right, it is a fine balance. But look how excited Darcy already is to be giving the cookies to your neighbour. Sounds like you're on the right track.

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home