Saturday, December 01, 2007

You Can't Win

The day care at our church has a fundraiser every year before Christmas where they stay open late on a couple of Friday nights and watch kids and give them supper all for $7.50 per kid for three hours. This gives parents a night to go out and get some shopping done. Well, we usually just go out for dinner, but you can do whatever you want with your cheap babysitting night.

Last night was one of those nights. Darcy has gone the last couple of years and she's really loved it. They have great crafts and activities lined up and she looks at it like a Christmas party. She doesn't even realize that she's at a day care. We had her all signed up and ready to go until we got a phone call yesterday while we were eating lunch. It was the assistant supervisor from the day care letting me know that there is a terrible flu going through the day care right now. Lots of kids have gotten it bad. Most of the kids who were signed up were kids who are already at the day care every day so they've already been exposed to the virus. They wanted to warn me because Darcy isn't there normally so she hasn't been exposed. Of course we decided to keep Darcy home instead of risking her getting sick. She was really disappointed, but she survived.

This morning was her weekly gynmastics class. I took her there and then halfway through the class one of the teachers came out with another kid whose shirt was all wet. The teacher told her mother that she had thrown up on herself during class. The mom took her into the bathroom where she threw up again and then the mother sent her back into gymnastics. She later said the kid had been sick before she came. Then why was she there? This mother is not one of our favourite parents in this class and her decision to bring her sick daughter this morning isn't helping her case any.

After class, while I was putting Darcy's coat on her, the sick kid came over and put her face in Wesley's car seat before I could keep her away from it. At least the mother snatched her out of there, but I don't know if the damage was done or not.

So I'm prepared for two sick kids. I bought some preventative stuff for Darcy but I don't know if it will work or not. I'm really praying that it does! Today was Nick's first day back to work. I don't want to start my time on my own with the flu in the house. We should have just sent her to the party!

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

If the mother of the sick kid didn't have the sense to keep her kid at home, why didn't the gymnastics teacher remove the kid from the class? Am I missing something?

9:21 PM  
Blogger Sue Matthews said...

That's what I don't get. It was a city-run program so I'm going to be making a call on Monday to see what their policy is on sick kids in programs. There must be one. However, this gymnastics class is taught by a couple of teenagers so they may not feel comfortable taking on a parent like that. I'm going to be looking for some answers though.

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is one of my pet peeves running my own daycare. If your child is not well...especaiily with the flu (I am ok with colds...everyone gets a cold now and then) then keep them at home. Why expose everyone to it?? And then they get mad when I have to call in sick because I have the flu!!!
The teacher should have sent her home. I would call too and see what the policy is!! Good luck!

9:31 PM  
Blogger Yvette said...

I'll just agree with everyone and say what a stupid mother that is. I couldn't send my kid ANYWHERE with a clear conscience if she were sick. What on earth was she thinking? And I agree that the teacher should have sent the girl home immediately after she threw up the first time. I wonder if anyone had the guts to tell the mother off?

4:33 AM  
Blogger Sue Matthews said...

I was too mad to tell her off and I was afraid of what I might say in front of my daughter. I'm really regretting that now though. The thing is, the mother is so stupid that she wouldn't even have gotten it if I did say something.

11:00 AM  
Blogger kathryn said...

some people seem to lack common sense and thoughtfulness. grrr. . . i hope your kiddies don't get sick, Sue.

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know some adults who go out in public when they are sick, because they might "miss something". Drives me crazy!

As our uncle once said, "If you're sick, GO HOME!"

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home