Thursday, January 31, 2008

Difficult Morning

When Darcy was first born I joined a community group called, "Just for Moms and Babies". Anyone with a new baby could sign up for the six-week group. It was one of the best things I did as a new mom. The group of women I was with were fantastic. We really hit it off and enjoyed each other's company immensely.

After the group ended we kept in touch and three of us, Andrea, Michelle and I continued meeting regularly until we went back to work. After we went back to work I found it hard to keep in regular contact with them. There'd be occasional emails but that was really the extent of it for me.

Not quite a year ago I heard that Andrea had been diagnosed with breast cancer but that she was fighting and things looked good. Her husband has been sending out emails with updates and her sister started a Facebook group to get information out as well.

Andrea was diagnosed when her younger son was less than a year old. She has two boys, Nolan who is Darcy's age and Lincoln who isn't yet two. She has been fighting for just over a year. All of the emails I've received from her husband have been positive, focused on her fight and her will to win. That changed last week. He was brutally honest and told us the situation was dire and that Andrea was being moved to our Hospice centre for better care. Her outlook is not good. Her oncololgist has suggested that maybe she has months to live. Her sister isn't sure if it will be that long. She has stopped all treatment.

I went to visit her this morning. She was barely recognizable at first. I was very fortunate that she was awake and alert during our visit. We had a good visit. I saw some wonderful pictures of her boys (her younger boy is her spitting image!) and she was happy to see recent pictures of Darcy and Wesley. Her sense of humour is still intact and she is very involved in making plans for Nolan to start school in September. It was a great visit. By the end I could see she was getting tired so I left her to get some rest. When I got home I couldn't help but shed a few tears.

When I was preparing to leave this morning Darcy asked where I was going. I told her I was going to the hospital to visit a friend who was sick. When she heard I was going to the hospital (she wouldn't understand what a Hospice is) she got scared. The last time I was leaving to go to the hospital for a short time I stayed for 6 weeks. She cried a little and begged me not to stay because she would miss me. She was glad when I came home.

If you pray, please pray for Andrea, Allan, Nolan and Lincoln and all their family and friends.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Woosh. That hurts. But good for Andrea on having such a positive attitude/outlook. Now excuse me while I go and have a little cry in a corner somewhere.

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, me too.

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow...I don't know how I would handle that. I will be adding thier family to out prayer list.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Sue-Ann said...

Sort of puts our "problems" into perspective. Wow, I can't imagine. Definately in our prayers.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Yvette said...

I don't know what else to write other than it's so so sad. It's gut wrenching.

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home