Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Toy Story Trauma

I've talked here before about Darcy's passion for Disney movies recently. Her favourites are "Beauty and the Beast" and "Aladdin". She'd watch them several time a day if we'd let her. I'm trying to mix things up a bit so over the weekend I suggested that she try "Toy Story". I got out the Toy Story DVD I've had for years and when I opened the case the DVD was cracked. So, no "Toy Story". Darcy was pretty pumped about seeing a toy movie so we tried "Toy Story 2". She was sucked in right from the beginning.

There was one part I forgot about though. The character, Jessie, sings a song about how she had been owned by a little girl named Emily. At first Emily loved Jessie and played with her all the time, but then Emily grew up and stopped playing with Jessie. The song ends with Emily putting Jessie in a donation box, leaving it at the side of the road and then driving away. As soon as that happened, Darcy turned to me with her eyes filled with tears. "Why is she driving away? What about Jessie?" It quickly escalated to all-out wailing. She said she was scared but I think she just didn't know how to express what she was really feeling.

She ended up watching the rest of the movie on my lap. I told her we could turn it off, but she wanted to keep watching. At the end she promised her toys that she would always love them and take care of them.

She's asked to watch the movie again but I think I'm going to hide that one away for a while.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sue-Ann said...

Yeah, some movies can be scary...the boys are watching the God Rocks Easter movie right now and the part where Jesus is crucified is scary (of course) but we try and talk them through it, but I've also thought about wehther or not I should put that one away for a little while.

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home