Thursday, April 24, 2008

So Incredibly Tired

As cute as he looks in these pyjamas, Wesley's sleep continues to be an issue for us. His napping is getting better during the day but his nighttime sleeping is now a mess! We were running a bit late last night so it was past 9:00 when I got him to bed. He proceeded to wake up again at 9:30, 11:15, 2:00 and 4:00. At 2:00 I was awake for an hour with him. Now he also hasn't had a nap all day today. I was planning on catching a few zzzz's myself this afternoon when both kids were sleeping but it didn't happen.
We're really not sure what to do with this kid. He used to be able to go to bed and settle himself down to sleep. Not anymore. The longer he lays in bed the more worked up he gets to the point where it becomes very difficult for us to settle him down at all. This has been going on for about a month now so we're pretty tired. Throw Nick's shiftwork into the mix and you'll find one really sleepy family. He's also got a cold right now, along with two new teeth coming in so he seems to be fighting a losing battle.
It seems to be affecting Darcy too. She has been cranky and bossy the last couple of days and I'm convinced she's not getting enough sleep either. Nick has been on afternoons this week which means he works from 3:00 - 12:00. He rides his bike to work so he's got to leave around 2:00 so he can get there and get showered in enough time to start work. She's been finding it really hard to have him gone in the evenings. Last night we went to visit friends who are in town with their new baby. On the way home in the car she started saying, "I want Daddy, I want Daddy..." and she cried most of the way home (about a 20 min drive). We got him on the phone when we got home but even that didn't help a lot. Fortunately, Grandmaman and Papa called and that seemed to pick things up for her. Yet again this afternoon when she got up from her nap the first thing she asked me was, "Where's Daddy?"
It's all combining to make me really tired!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right, he's very cute and doesn't look sleep deprived!

Hope things get better soon.

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sue,

In Australia they have baby sleep clinics (or something like that) where you can go with your child and they will assess why they aren't sleeping and help you techniques etc. Never heard of it before arriving here, but maybe that was because I wasn't a mom before...it was recommended to me several times for Veroonika when she wasn't sleeping as a baby.
Do they have something like that in Canada? Would be worth looking into, sounds like you are at the end of your rope!

6:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I feel your pain. Sharon's suggestion of a baby sleep clinic sounds like a great idea. Can your pediatrician recommend anything? Hang in there.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Yvette said...

Oh Sue, my heart goes out to you. I wish I had some good advice for you, but alas I don't. I just hope things get better soon!

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain regarding Darcy and the crying for Daddy. I get the "I dont' love you anymore I just want my daddy" or crying fits of "I'll never see my daddy again"....oooo the drama of it all.

Janice

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home