Monday, September 08, 2008

And She's Off!

Darcy is at school as I write this. We had a pretty fun morning at home and then an early lunch and off to the bus stop.

We were told the bus would meet us at the corner of Pillette and Ontario, quite near our house but we didn't know which corner to wait at. Nick was off then so we all went together to wait for the bus. When we got to the corner we saw the boy from across the street and his Dad waiting on the other side of the busy street from where we were so we crossed to wait for them. We waited for a few minutes with a couple of false alarms with other school buses going past but finally our bus came and stopped but it was across the street from where we were so we all had to cross back to get on the bus. We moved quickly so we weren't really thinking but I had the stroller and the camera and Nick had Darcy so we nearly didn't get a picture of her getting on the bus. She was so excited to get on the bus that she didn't kiss either of us goodbye she just got right on the bus. I managed to get a picture of her halfway up the stairs though. The driver had a checklist and knew Darcy and Quinn would be getting on there so we knew she got on the right bus. Wesley and I will go at 4:00 to see if she gets off where she's supposed to.

I was much stronger than I expected to be and I didn't cry at all, even after the bus drove away. Nick, Trevor and I walked back toward our houses together and chatted a little so that helped keep me from crying. Then when Nick and I were walking up our driveway our neighbour was getting out of his car. This guy is well into his 70's and is an interesting character. He got out of his car and said hi to us, but he was clearly wearing women's sunglasses (really glamourous ones at that) and didn't seem notice. If he did notice, he didn't seem to mind. Well, by the time I got into the house I was laughing so much about that that there were no tears.

We were eating lunch and the phone rang just as the class time was supposed to be starting. We thought at first that it might be family calling to see how she made out, but then I panicked and thought it was the school calling to say something was wrong. We should have known that it was just a solicitor!

So I'd have to say so far so good. We'll see in an hour if she's home in once piece. I'll update later with her account of how the day went! I'll also be putting more pictures on facebook and flickr.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Glad to hear it went so well. Also l-o-v-e the picture of her getting on the bus. Can't wait to hear what Darcy has to say about it all.

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still jumping this week when the phone rings, thinking it's the school. It's not.

Last year I finally stopped thinking about it, unless it was close to one of the break times, I'd start to wonder!

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home