Monday, September 01, 2008

What, Me Worry?

Darcy seems to have been having trouble sleeping lately. She's always been a great sleeper but over the past week or so she has been waking up in the night and coming into our room for a different reason every night.

The first night she just needed a snuggle. The next night she had lost Heidi, her cow that sleeps with her every night. The next night she lost her pillow and on a different night she woke up twice for drinks in the night. When she saw I was serious about telling her to stay in bed that night she then suddenly had to go to the bathroom.

I tend to overthink things. I had just read an article about dealing with pre-school stress and it said that sleep disturbances could be the result of anxiety about the changes to come. I was always scared about starting a new school and I remember being really freaked out just as school was about to begin so I thought this could be the problem. Here is the conversation we had at breakfast after the two-drink night...

Me: Darcy, are you worried about starting to go to school?
Darcy: No. Why do you think I'm worried?
Me: Because you keep waking up at night and saying you lost Heidi, or you lost your pillow or you need drinks.
Darcy (looking at me like I'm crazy): No Mom, that just means I lost stuff or I'm really, really thirsty.

I had to laugh at myself.

She doesn't start school tomorrow. Kindergarten doesn't start until next Monday. We go for an interview with the teacher on Thursday and then that's it until the bus picks her up on Monday.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sue-Ann said...

As parents I do think we tend to overreact...sometims it's just a simple as I'm thirsty! BTW - CJ's been up every night for the last 4 too!

8:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kids are so uncomplicated. Wish we could stay that way.

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home