Wednesday, August 20, 2008

To Bus or Not to Bus

This is the decision I've been procrastinating on all summer. Now the school year is nearly here and I still haven't decided how Darcy will be getting to school this year.

She is going to a French immersion school so busing is available for most students and Darcy falls into the area they'd bus. She can either take the bus or I can commit to driving her and picking her up every day. When we registered her they told me to sign up for the bus then because it is easier to sign up and take your child off the bus than it is to try to add your child to the bus in the fall.

The other day we got some mail from the bus company detailing her drop off and pick up spots. I guess this means I need to decide soon.

Darcy has it in her head that she's taking the bus and that's one of the things she's most excited about when she talks about going to school (one of many things) but I'm nervous about it. I've seen too many news stories of kids getting bullied and beaten up on school buses. I'm afraid she'll get on the wrong bus some day and end up in another part of town. In short I think she's just too little to ride the bus.

However, I just don't know about driving her every day either. You can't bus some days and drive others days, it's got to be an all or nothing decision. She needs to be at school to start at 12:45 and that's just when Wesley is eating lunch and getting ready for his nap. If we drive her to school every day he'll fall asleep in the van and never take a proper nap at home. I don't want him to not get his proper rest because he needs to drive her to school. Also, the parking situation around the school is a zoo and we're required to get out of the car and walk her to the school. I hate the thought of fighting for a parking spot twice a day, every day.

So I really don't know which is best for Darcy and the whole family. We have a bus information day at school next Tuesday. I'm hoping that will answer some of my questions about bus safety and the school parking situation which should help me make a decision.

Blah!

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Blah! (like that's any help)

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All 4 of the kids i babysat took the bus.They got on the right bus all the time.They have older bus partners.Darcy will be ok.

Donna

3:42 PM  
Blogger Sue-Ann said...

CJ is busing it this year, I know he's a year older than Darcy....I've only heard good stories about how the bus driver won't let them off if there's no adult to pick 'em up and stuff. It's hard, but she'll be ok.

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a tough choice. I wondered too, if there were older bus buddies to help them.

Hopefully your meeting will make you feel better and help you make the right choice.

I found even with walking, the younger sibling's schedule changed!

12:45 PM  
Blogger Yvette said...

I say go for the bus. Darcy will be fine.

3:39 AM  
Blogger Yvette said...

By the way, what does Nick think?

3:40 AM  
Blogger Sue Matthews said...

Why - good question! Nick isn't really saying much one way or the other because he knows that whatever the decision I'm going to be the one who deals with whatever consequences there most of the time so he's really leaving it up to me. Might I add that this is no help at all!!!

8:26 AM  
Blogger Yvette said...

I think it would good for Darcy to take the bus - she'd be disappointed if she couldn't. I'm sure she'll be ok. Aren't there anti-bullying rules everywhere these days? And just think if you had to commit to driving her all the time - you'd be forever under pressure of the clock. I know letting go is hard...

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home