Monday, July 21, 2008

Growing Up

Two posts in one day. Crazy.

Last Friday we were out doing some errands and I saw a sign up in front of a local church advertising their summer vacation Bible school. It's a big church, pretty close to our house and I thought to myself, "That will be something to keep in mind when Darcy's old enough." Then I looked at the sign again and it was for kids aged 4-11. She's old enough now. The program was set to start today so I needed to make a decision.

It's running from 1-4 every day this week, which will be similar to the schedule Darcy will have once school starts in September. I thought it would be a good practice week for her to see what her days will be like once school starts. It was supposed to be practice for her.

I talked to her about it and she thought it sounded like fun so I signed her up. I talked to her about it all weekend and she got pretty excited. Today came and she couldn't wait to go. So after lunch I loaded her up in the car and off we went. She was already registered so when we got there there was nothing to do. They weren't quite ready to start yet so they had some movies and activities in the lobby for the kids. Darcy gave me a kiss and went and sat in front of one of the movies.

I couldn't leave. I started to wonder, "Will she get to the right places?", "Will she miss me?", "Will she make friends?" She didn't seem big enough to leave there all by herself. She didn't know anyone else there. I decided to stay until they got things started.

After a couple of minutes of watching the movie she looked around and was surprised to see me still standing there. She looked over and said in an incredulous voice, "Mommy, I already gave you a kiss!" I guess I should have no reason to stay after that.

They got things started a few minutes later and I had no choice but to leave. Wesley was at home with Nick and needed to be nursed and there wasn't much Nick could do about that. Then as I was driving away, I started to cry! I couldn't believe it. It surprised even me. I just can't believe my baby girl is big enough for stuff like that and especially for school in the fall.

She had an absolute blast this afternoon and can't wait to go back tomorrow. I think I might need to get Nick to drive her!

3 Comments:

Blogger Sue-Ann said...

I have to warn you...I had a terrible time leaving CJ the first day of school...he looked so little next to all the other kids (his class was a JK/SK mix). Even in the class picture he looked wee next to everyone else....but it does get easier!

8:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

And everybody goes "Awww ..."

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're braver then I am! I didn't leave Laura at anything like that before she started school.

As I've mentioned before though, I did a lot better on the first day of school then I expected.

Leaving my 'baby' at school next year might be another story!! The last one, me being a step closer to going back into the workforce, etc...

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home