Thursday, June 26, 2008

Zimbabwe

A post of a completely different nature today...

If you're watching the news at all today you will know that there is a terrible political situation in Zimbabwe right now. People are being beaten or killed trying to fight for democracy and freedom which seem impossible to achieve.

After reading General Romeo Dallaire's book Shake Hands With the Devil I was horrified at how the world stood by and watched the horrors that had happened in Rwanda. Could the same thing happen again? At the time the genocide was happening in Rwanda, how many people were really aware of what was going on? How many of us (me included) really understand what is happening in Zimbabwe? What can be done about it?

I think the first thing we have to do is to be informed. I'm going to post links here to two blogs from people we know, John and Rochelle, who are currently in Africa, a couple who are missionaries in Zimbabwe itself and a friend of ours, Trevor, working for Engineers Without Borders in nearby Zambia. I think this will give a more personal account of what is happening that may make it more real than what you see on the news. Trevor's blog also offers some links to more information about what is happening there.

I'm not sure what we can do from here to make a difference, other than pray for Zimbabwe and the people there.

2 Comments:

Blogger glennlavender said...

Crazy I read your post when I did. I just finished up my quiet time and felt urged to pray for my sponsor child in Zimbabwe, Enough Ncumbe. I often do but I haven't for a few weeks for no real good reason. Then I come upstairs and Mom passes me some mail from World Vision. It was a letter talking about the difficulties in Zimbabwe and how WV has had to pull out their people from there. Then I check your blog (this is all within 20 minutes) and see what you posted. I'm afraid to read John and Rochelle's blog now!!
Prayer is the most accessible thing we can do and probably the most helpful but being a guy I just want to go over there and try and do something to fix it or at least make sure Enough and family are ok. Obviously that's not a good plan either, at least not right now!
This will just give me more motivation to get kids sponsored through WV on our fall tour!

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing!

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home