Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Darcy's Party

We had a great time celebrating Darcy's birthday over the weekend. Friday, her actual birthday, was pretty low-key with just the four of us here. We took Darcy to her favourite park (in 32 degree heat!) to play for a while before a trip to Montana's for supper. She got to wear a big moose hat and have all the staff sing to her which she thought was pretty cool.

On Saturday she had her final swimming lesson before my family arrived in the early afternoon. Then her party began in a park near our house at 3:00. With all her friends and their parents we had 27 people at the party. Everything went pretty well with the exception of the cake. I had ordered the cake, with Darcy's help, a couple of weeks ago. She had selected a "twirling Barbie ballerina" cake. Nick picked up the cake on Saturday morning and when he got it home it didn't look like the cake in the picture. There was a little stand on the cake and they handed him the Barbie separately with no instructions. I couldn't get the Barbie to stand on the cake, let alone to twirl like a ballerina. In one attempt she fell on the cake, ruining the icing. I called the store to see what was supposed to happen and they told me that the Barbie doesn't actually spin, that what was pictured on what I was shown when I ordered it doesn't actually work. I was pretty mad that they knew it wouldn't work, took my order and happily took my $36 for a cake that didn't do what I was told it would. I got my money back.

It was a bit windy down by the river but that helped it seem not so warm. It just prevented us from lighting candles for Darcy to blow out. The kids played some games and we all ate some snacks and cake. Darcy got a lot of wonderful presents that she's been playing with non-stop since the party. At the end of the party as everyone was starting to pack up to leave, Darcy walked over to me and said, "Mommy, thank you for this wonderful birthday party." Well, who cares about a twirling Barbie then? (Incidentally, the geniuses had just constructed the Barbie stand incorrectly. If it was built properly, which is easy to do she twirls quite nicely.)

My family spent the night on Saturday night and Darcy had a great time playing with her cousins for another day. We had a slight scary moment on Sunday afternoon when we took another walk to the park by the river. It was quite windy and there was one moment when no one had their hand on Wesley's stroller. A big gust of wind hit the stroller and sent him flying into the fence. Nick saw him hit his head on the fenct but it didn't seem to bother him, he just kept eating his Cheerios. The only problem was that the impact knocked his sippy cup out of the cup holder and it bounced right into the river.

It was a great weekend and Darcy had great time which is all that matters.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like it was nearly a cake-astrophe but a fun day all the same. Wish I could've been there.

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home