Tuesday, July 01, 2008

The Favourite

Darcy has always had an amazing bond with her Papa, Nick's dad. It started when they first met when she was 3 weeks old. Grandmaman and Papa had travelled down from Montreal to meet their first grandchild and couldn't wait to see her. Darcy was crying and crying and crying but as soon as Papa picked her up she stopped. He was always able to get her to stop crying. As she got older their bond stretched beyond soothing tears to playing together, reading, shoulder rides and many other fun things. Grandmaman has often felt like she gets snubbed because of Darcy's preference for Papa. She's not alone.

Nick's parents were here last weekend to visit us and my parents are here with us now. On Saturday when we were getting ready for my parents to arrive Darcy announced that she loved my Dad (she calls him Pa) but that Papa is her favourite. I told her she should love them both the same. She said again that Papa is her favourite. She didn't seem to be able to be swayed from this opinion so I told her never to say that around Pa or else she'd hurt his feelings.

On Sunday afternoon my Mom and I were on the couch talking and Darcy was playing with my Dad. Then she turned to me and said, "I didn't hurt his feelings." Dad was laughing like crazy. I asked her what she meant and she said, "I told him that Papa is my favourite and it didn't hurt his feelings." Dad said he's going to cry all the way home.

Of course when we walked down by the river last night she wouldn't leave Pa's side!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You know, she might end up a lawyer with the way she can twist words to her liking. Smart little monkey.

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home