Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Bribery, Day 1 - Crash and Burn

Well my bright idea of bribing Darcy with Dora stickers was a miserable failure on day 1. There was absolutely no success at all. Accidents all day long.

When we were asking her about it at supper she responded with, "Well, I don't know about that." She sounded like Forrest Gump!

I'm not giving up on the plan after only one day, but it is frustrating. She seemed so excited about the stickers when I dropped her off, so it was really surprising when she didn't respond to that.

Lynn, I don't think it's a game she's playing. Honestly, I think she's got the Haskell "I don't use bathrooms other than my own" thing going on.

___________________________________________________
Bizarre Update:

I don't understand this child! We're at home today and she just told me she's ready to go to school. I said she needs to do big girl pee-pee all by herself before she can go to school. She said she can do it already. So we went into the bathroom where she proceeded to take off her own pants, pull over her stool, get up on the toilet, pee and wipe her own bum without any help from me at all! She needed some help getting her pants back on, and washing her hands because our sink is too high even with the stool. So, is she playing a game or is it just her being uncomfortable peeing in someone else's house?

4 Comments:

Blogger Sherri Lavender said...

So when exactly does she get to start school then? :o)

Yikes!

I wish I had even an iota of advice for ya!

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sue....
Sounds like Darcy is playing a game with you.

I'd run with the "going to school" scenario. Remind her that she can't go to school if she doesn't use the bathroom - just like you did today. Sometimes they just need to be reminded that they are "growing up".

I've had to use it - even recently - and my kids are 6!

Hope it helps!
K

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

child number 1 for me was tough. .it was a battle of wills. My sisters ended up training her - it seemed she was willing to cooperate with others, just not Mom and Dad! Child number 2. . we took a different tack -- we did the 'sticker' thing. . she chose them, i put up a home-made chart next to the toilet. . each time she did the trick she put a sticker on the chart. She had wanted a 'big wheel' in the worst way, so we told her that when the chart was full (30 squares), she would get her big wheel! It worked!!! By that time the habit was established -- we bought the big wheel, which mommy put together cuz KK was too impatient to wait for daddy to come home from work.


k

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sue, counsin Janice here. Sorry no helpful advice for you. Matthew has been potty training for almost a year now. He is on and off. Somedays he will go and others he won't. Not to mention that he NEVER tells us when he has to go. Lately he has decided that after he pees in his diaper it is time to take it off and run around buck.

So needless to say we are still working at it. One thing I may suggest is if she likes going at home - do you have a potty seat that she uses on the big potty - if so maybe try taking that to the babysitters and see if it helps (along with her stool to make it feel more like home). And then gradually start taking things away ....

Worth a try.

Take care,
Janice

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home