Monday, February 19, 2007

Big Steps Backwards

Darcy has been doing great with her potty training for months. Yet over the past few days we've had a huge regression. She's had accidents two nights in a row because she's too busy playing to stop to go to the bathroom. Whenever we suggest it's time to go, it's like we're offending her with the suggestion. If we take her against her wishes, she freaks out. Then, once she's in the bathroom she'll go with no problem.

My parents were here over the weekend and on Saturday evening we were all in the family room together. My mom noticed that Darcy was walking funny so I looked more closely and sure enough, her pants were wet. We finally got the whole story out of her and she told us she had peed by the table. I checked the floor there and it certainly showed evidence of having been recently peed on. Incidentally, in case you've never heard this trick, cover the wet area with corn starch then allow it to dry. It will all then vacuum right up.

Last night Nick was on the phone with his Dad and I was relaxing on the couch. Darcy was playing with her toys and suddenly I heard a trickling sound. "Darcy, are you going pee?" "Yes, Momma". Still on the phone, Nick whisked her up and carried her to the bathroom. The damage to the carpet was considerably less this time.

So what's causing this regression? Any ideas? Is she just enjoying her playtime too much? Is it the talk of the new baby? She certainly knows when she has to go pee, so why has she suddenly stopped telling us? The babysitter mentioned that she'd had a couple of accidents there last week too. It's all very frustrating.

On a more positive note, we have our first ultra sound this afternoon. I'm very excited about getting a look at the new baby. I'm a little nervous because my ultra sound requisition form says that I have a positive history for twins, so I'll feel a lot better when I see one solid heartbeat. I'm sure we'll have pictures to post later.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Twins really aren't such a bad thing. :)
~Kathleen

12:46 PM  
Blogger Sue-Ann said...

Not that I'm an expert by any means...but I've read (been doing a lot of potty training reading - CJ still isn't trained) that they can have regressions when there are big changes, it can even be as simple as moving into a new room, etc. So maybe the talk about the new baby is part of it! BTW - can't wait to see pictures!

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home