Thursday, February 15, 2007

Internal Thermostat

Pregnancy hormones are a lovely thing. My body temperature is so out of whack right now it apprears that I don't seem to have any sort of internal thermostat at all.

Those of you who know me well know that I am always cold. It seems that no matter what the temperature, I find a way of being cold. Now I'm still cold for the most part, but I tend to heat up very quickly at the slightest change in circumstance.

For example, the other night I had a cup of hot chocolate while watching TV in the evening. After I drank it, I couldn't regulate my body temperature at all. I had been huddled under a blanket on the couch, with fleece sweatpants, a t-shirt, a big warm sweater and thermal socks on. After I finished the hot chocolate I had to get rid of the blanket, socks and sweater and even then, just in my little t-shirt and sweatpants, I was unbearably hot.

Then we went upstairs to get ready for bed and within 30 seconds I was shivering! It made no sense at all.

And since I've been pregnant I've been doing something weird that I can't believe Nick hasn't blogged about yet. Even though it's been the middle of winter and we've been having incredibly cold nights, I've needed to have the ceiling fan on in our room. Although I may be cold when I go to sleep, I know my body will heat up uncontrollably while I sleep and I'll wake up because I'm so hot. I've been sleeping so much better with the fan on. I'm not sure about Nick.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't remember if I had those extremes while pregnant or not.

What I remember more clearly is being drenched with sweat for a few months after the babies were born! (another con for Stef?!)

With Lucas, it was understandable. He was born in May, and that summer was one of the hotter ones.

With Laura being born in October, I was surprised to wake up full of sweat in the fall/winter.

Darn hormones!!

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home