Thursday, April 05, 2007

Bit of a Set Back

So, I've talked a bit here about how I was put on nausea medication to help deal with the morning sickness I've been experiencing with this pregnancy. My family doctor originally prescribed it, with the plan of trying to wean myself off it at the end of the first trimester which is when morning sickness usually winds down in most pregnancies.

I was determined not to be on medication for the whole pregnancy so I was totally on board with weaning myself off. Originally I was taking for pills a day, so I cut out one at a time. About a month ago I stopped taking them altogether. For the first few days I felt pretty good and was really happy with my decision.

After a few days, however, things changed. All the gagging I was experiencing at the beginning of the pregnancy came back, full force. I started to have trouble eating again and began to get concerned about my weight. Nick and I sat down and talked it over one night and we decided that it would be best if I went back on the medication. When I had seen the OB I told her I was trying to cut back and she was pleased with that. But she also offered me a repeat prescription in case that didn't work, so I knew she would be OK with me starting it up again. I've seen her since I made the decision and I was definitely right about that.

So I've been back on the medication for nearly two weeks, but only twice a day. For the most part that's working well. I had a rough night last night, but there were a combination of factors at play there. 1) I was watching a documentary on TLC about a little girl born with a disfigured face. It was showing a lot of surgery and "medical" stuff that was pretty nauseating. 2) We didn't have much milk so I had decided to forego my nightly bowl of cereal in favour of a mug of hot chocolate accompanied by a Toblerone bar (very small one). Probably not a good choice. I ended up taking a double dose before bed because I had a huge bout of nausea from walking upstairs to bed.

I really didn't experience this with my pregnancy with Darcy at all. It's really frustrating. It looks like I'll be on the medication for a while!

2 Comments:

Blogger Yvette said...

Poor you! I can't say I know what you're going through because I only had the typical 3 months of nausea with both my pregnancies. However, I'm glad that you're not too proud to admit that you feel better taking the medication. There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking it, you obviously need it and there's no point in feeling like crap for the rest of the pregnancy. That's no life! Hope you feel better today.

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched the smae documentary...really sad.
I also have a bowl of cereal before I go to bed! I cannot live without it! NO...I am not pregnant!!!
You are doing the right thing with the meds!!!!

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home