Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Different Day

I think I've mentioned recently that our babysitter's daughter is having her first baby any time now. She decided a while back that when she's in labour, she wants her mom in the room with her. So we were told that when she goes into labour, we'd need to make other arrangements for the day.

The problem with labour is that you often get some false alarms. Today is the third day we've had to make other arrangements for our child care. We're working around it. Last week I ended up taking part of Tuesday afternoon off so Nick could be on time for his evening shift at work. We needed to arrange something again last Thursday, but Nick happened to be off that day so it was no trouble. We were talking over the weekend and we said we'd be fine this week, as long as she wasn't in the hospital on Tuesday. Well, we got the call last evening that she'd been admitted to the hospital but that labour was progressing slowly. We'd need to make alternate arrangements again today. I had several appointments lined up that I couldn't cancel. Nick is on the day shift. Trouble. So we did something I've never wanted to do.

The church where I work runs a full-time day care centre here. I called and they had a space available in her age group today, so Darcy is here in the building with me. She was so excited at the prospect of going to "school" today that I'm surprised she slept last night. Her first words this morning were "Is it time to go to school now?" I've just been nervous about her being in the same building as me, and me being a distraction for her. I've seen it happen with some of the other teachers whose kids are here.

I've been nervous about how she'd adapt to the change in scenery, but I think she's doing great. They have a short church service every morning so I spied from another room to see how she was. She was doing great. Each class sends a representative up to sing a song, and she was chosen from her class, because it's her first day. So she picked "Twinkle, Twinkle" and sang her little heart out up at the front with the teacher.

I didn't want her to know I'm here, but a teacher just brought her down here because they couldn't find her coat for outside time. It's a different teacher than the one who checked her in, so they didn't know we had borrowed someone else's locker. I asked her for a hug and she said, "OK, but now it's time to go outside." Translation: I'm wasting valuable time down here.

So, who's having the hard adjustment? I think she's going to love it so much she's not going to want to go back to the babysitter's house!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefully she'll go back to the babysitter's alright for you!

Not to rush things, but enjoying the daycare is a good indicator that you might not have trouble with her when it's time for JK next year (if you're sending her).

I think it was harder on me with Laura starting school, then it was for Laura!

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home