Friday, April 25, 2008

Doctor's Visit

Wesley had another rough night last night and around 11:30 he started barking like a seal. We managed to get him (and us) through the night and I called the doctor this morning. He has croup. Maybe that's contributing to some of the sleep problems??? Last night was the first night he was coughing, so who knows?

I asked about the sleep disturbances and he didn't have much help for me, nothing like the sleep clinic Sharon suggested in her comment on my last post. If it keeps up, Sharon, I'll be heading to Australia to visit you and the clinic!

Something totally shocking came out of the doctor's appointment and I'm pretty blown away by it. Our pediatrician drives me crazy. He's either rushing you in and out of your appointment so quickly that you can't get all your questions asked or he's being so overly thorough that he's scaring the crap out of you. Today was the latter. At 8 months old Wesley is being tested for Down Syndrome. He apparently has an extra fold under his eye that has caused the doctor some concern. With that being said, he told me there's a higher than 90% chance that everything is fine. He said Wesley is at the top of the charts for meeting all his developmental milestones and is otherwise in good health. He doesn't have any of the other conditions (heart, vision) that are part of Down Syndrome. I'm trying to remind myself of that but I'm pretty freaked out, I'll be honest.

We'll get the test done on Monday and then I have no idea how long it will take for the results. It's genetic testing and it has to be sent to London. Of course, I'll be posting more when I know more.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's part of the reason I don't take my kids to the doctor, after the baby years, unless something is wrong. They'll give me something else to worry about.

Well, I'm freaked out with you over Wesley. I'm sure it'll be nothing, if there are no other signs.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I know I don't have kids and I don't have any experience with Downs babies, but it seems to me that they would've noticed if Wesley had Downs as soon as he was born.
Would it be difficult to see about getting a new doctor for the kids?

8:13 PM  
Blogger Yvette said...

I'm with Stef on this one; look into another pediatrician if you're not happy with the current one. How can he not have noticed before now that Wesley has ONE possible minute sign of Down's Syndrome? That's not something you'd miss. I can imagine your apprehension! I'm sure Wes is fine. Try and hang in there till Monday.

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home