Monday, September 22, 2008

Finished!

I put Wesley to bed tonight without nursing him. It's the first time in his 13 months that has happened. I've been working towards it for several weeks, decreasing his last feeding by a minute or two every night but tonight was the first night he got nothing. I was nervous about how it would go but it seems to have been all right.

Last night I told him it was his last night of nursing. I don't think he can understand that but he cried for nearly an hour before falling asleep. Tonight I didn't say anything, I just read him his book, sang a little song and put him in bed. 15 minutes later, he was asleep. He did stand up in his crib and point at the rocking chair when I put him in bed but I just closed the door and walked away. He seemed to get the hint.

I feel like I should be sad about this chapter of my life being over but I'm really not. I'm so relieved. Darcy was a good baby to nurse, all cuddly and sweet. Nursing Wesley has been anything but a pleasure. Instead of cuddling while he was nursing, Wesley's favourite activity was slapping me. He would change it up sometimes and pinch me or scratch me. There was an occasional kick. This doesn't even get into the biting... Sometimes the slaps would be so loud that Nick could hear them in another room. Not cool. Combine all this with the fact that he never drank from a bottle and has only reliably been drinking from a cup for the last month and it became pretty exhausting for me. I was willing to do it for the well-being of my son, but I am more than willing for it to be over.

We've decided that I will put Wesley to bed for the first couple of nights and then Nick will start doing some nights too. I know it's not guaranteed to be smooth sailing but at least we've gotten off to a good start!

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Woo hoo!

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray for you!

I missed nursing for about 30 seconds! It was the boy that gave me the most trouble too, however, not as much as his cousin apparently!

I was amazed when you said he pointed at the rocking chair. I guess I've forgotten how much they know at 13 months, they just can't always vocalize it.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Good for you Sue!! I am sure there will some rocky moments but before you know it they will be 13 and 10...trust me!!! :)

3:41 PM  
Blogger Blogger_Naut said...

Wow, reading about your success makes me feel like we can do it too! Selina will be turning one on Friday and me thinks I too am done with the nursing, pinching, kicking, and slapping.
Can you suggest a book or some literature on your successful bedtime proceedure?
Also, how is Wes adjusting to chewable foods?

10:46 PM  
Blogger Sue Matthews said...

Wes is starting to get some molars so his chewing is going pretty well. He's starting to eat a lot of what eat, supplemented by bread or pasta or things like that to fill him up.

As for books about my sleep routine, I really can't think of much. The book I've used the most is called, "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Dr. Marc Weissbluth. Stef can give you my gmail address to and you can email me if you want to ask me any other questions.

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home