Thursday, September 11, 2008

Sailing Along

Things seem to be going pretty well for Darcy at school. We found the shoes we thought she had lost but she still has two pairs at school and we can't seem to get her to bring the extra pair home. She just doesn't seem to have a grasp on the whole "inside shoe - outside shoe" thing yet.

She is starting to make some friends and talks a lot about a girl named Samantha. She also told us today about some boys who were hitting and kicking but according to her, she has been perfect.

We're a little concerned that she's not eating her snacks, though. For the past couple of days they've come home untouched. They can bring cookies on Fridays so I expect we won't have any problems with tomorrow's snack.

We've been asking her what French words she's been learning and she keeps saying none. Then last night I was asking her what she did at recess and she said "Nothing because I had to go get my sac a dos." I asked her what that meant and she said, "My sac a dos!" Then she finally took pity on her non-French-speaking mother and told me it meant backpack. She's also used a few other French words in conversation so we know she's learning some.

I haven't talked much about Wesley in all the excitement about Darcy going to school. He's starting to take a few steps now but of course he stops as soon as I get the camera out. Hopefully we'll get some pictures or a video soon. He's also growing several teeth right now so he's been kind of cranky over the past few days. Not cool. He's drinking a lot of milk and we're trying to feed him lots so hopefully he's gaining weight too. A month ago I was nursing him three times a day for a total of an hour a day. Now I'm down to once a day and tonight that was only for 9 minutes. I'm cutting out a minute a night until I'm done. He's pretty mad at me and isn't settling down to sleep right now because he wants to be nursed more, but he'll get used to it. I can definitely get used to it!

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Did you ever find out what "samalama" is supposed to mean?

8:41 AM  
Blogger Sue Matthews said...

Oh yes. Apparently it means, "A mes amis."

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mes Amies is "my friends" just so you know. I can give you a hand with a few french words I don't think i have lost it completely.

Matthew has been coming home with his snacks too, but today he came home with an almost empty lunch pail. So you are not allowed to send cookies? I'm not sure what Matthew would eat if I didn't send at least one cookie for one of the nutrition breaks. Kid eats like a fly.

All in all glad to hear she is enjoying school and doing well.

Janice

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home