Friday, November 07, 2008

The Big Field Trip

My Mom may think that parts of this story are untrue, but I assure you that every bit of it actually happened!

Darcy and I went on her big field trip today and I'm happy to say that I survived and actually did well. I was really nervous before we left but I settled down once we got going. However, they saved the snake for the very end of the afternoon so I had a lot of time to worry about it.

We started off with a "creepy critters" slide show and then a nice walk through the trails at the nature centre. We didn't see too many animals on the walk but the kids found some cool leaves and they thought that was pretty exciting. Then we went back inside and that's when they brought out the snake. I really thought I was going to crawl out of my skin when she was taking it out of it's bag but once she had it in her hands for a few minutes I settled down. She walked around the room giving the kids and adults a chance to pet the snake. I wasn't going to do it, but then I told myself to grow up. If a bunch of 4-year olds can do it, then so can I. So I did. She had walked past me and I called her back so I could try it. I wasn't about to be outdone by those kids. It was really dry. The lady beside me said she'd only touch it if they turned it into a pair of boots. Darcy touched it as well and was really proud of herself for doing it. I'm pretty proud of myself too. And Mom, I didn't even cry! Hard to believe, but true. One of the moms screamed when the lady pulled out the bag with the snake in it, but not me. Of course, she grew up in Africa so she's used to much more dangerous snakes than what we were dealing with today.

The more I meet Darcy's teacher the more I'm impressed with her. She's absolutely fantastic. Darcy loves and I can tell that Mlle Dresser gets a kick out of Darcy too. She let Darcy hold her hand a lot on the nature walk and even sat with Darcy on the bus on the way home. She told me again how pleased she is with Darcy's work, which is great.

When we were having lunch before we left home today Darcy kept saying she hoped I would be her group leader and that she'd be able to be with me at the nature centre. Once we were there all the other kids who had moms on the trip walked with their moms and held their mom's hand, but not Darcy. Oh no, it was like I wasn't even there. Once she saw her teacher I became chopped liver. Some of her friends thought I was fun though. I guess I'll have to take solace in that!

There are some pictures of the field trip posted on our flickr page and on facebook.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sherri Lavender said...

Wow Sue, I'm proud of you too!

I can't believe how grown up Darcy looks in some of the pictures on your flkr page. YIKES!

9:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Funny - when I first started reading this post, I thought you were writing as Darcy, not as yourself. Just reading the word of that animal you touched (I can't even write it) made me gag and shudder.

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home