Saturday, October 25, 2008

Important Links

It seems that every Halloween you hear some sort of warning about keeping your children safe. Some are just common sense, some are complete craziness and some are worth reading about. One came to my attention the other day from my Mom and I thought it was worth posting about here so any other Moms who read this who may not have heard about will hear about it from me. It's a warning about tainted chocolate coins that could be handed out this year, which are part of the melamine in milk disaster going on in China right now. For more information, please read this article.

Secondly, we know that as soon as Halloween is over we'll be hearing all about Christmas. If you are looking for some good ways to help others this Christmas, I've got some good links for you. The first is my annual plug for the World Vision Christmas Catalogue. We've bought things from this catalogue several times and have been very pleased with the whole process. I've also found two other organizations doing similar things so here are links to their catalogues too so you can decide what's best for you. Samaritan's Purse information can be found here. I had wanted to include some information about the Salvation Army's new program which is similar but oddly enough, I can't find any! If I find it, I'll post it here later.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update:

I found the information I was looking for. The Salvation Army has a program called Gifts of Hope. There isn't a lot of information on the website, just a list of what can be purchased but you can find it here.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right, every Halloween there seems to be something to worry about. Almost makes me wish it was cancelled!

I'm not a big fan of Halloween. Too many rude and big kids out on the streets!

Last year we threw out any treat not made in Canada/U.S. or anything with no information.

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lynn...you should move to Australia :) Most people don't celebrate Halloween here. Kind of miss the costumes though...

The Australian territories have a gift catalogue similar to world vision and samaritans purse, but I guess a canadian link would be more helpful. If anyone else from Australia reads this blog the link is justsalvos.com/justgifts/

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home