Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Notes from School

We're constantly getting notes home from Darcy's teacher. Usually they're asking for money whether through a fundraiser or a hot lunch or whatever. Sometimes it's worksheets that we can work through with Darcy at home.

Last week she brought home a note saying that her first field trip was coming up, that they'd be going to a local nature centre. I kind of skimmed the note, getting the main information, the date, the times, and the fact that they were looking for parent volunteers. I checked the date and saw that Nick is off that day so I filled out the information saying that I would volunteer to go with the class. Darcy's friend was over that day and the two of them were excitedly talking about the upcoming field trip and the things they would see there. I heard them say things like "bats, bees, bugs, plants and snakes". Snakes?!?!? There would be snakes involved in this field trip? No one had mentioned snakes. I looked at the letter again and saw that the teacher had, in fact, mentioned snakes. The theme of this field trip is "Creepy Critters" and they're looking for everything Darcy and Quinn mentioned. I am terrified of snakes. Absolutely, irrationally, terrified of snakes. That will teach me to read something thoroughly before I sign up for anything else!

So I had a choice. I hadn't returned the paper yet. I could cross out the information saying I could help with the class or I could face my fears and show my daugther what it means to be brave. The last thing I want is for her to inherit her fears from me. She is really overcoming her fear of dogs and cats. How can I ever encourage her to do that if I would let a garter snake or two keep me from going on this field trip. So I returned the paper still indicating that I would go on the trip. I was hoping that maybe they'd get more volunteers than they needed but I got a note from the teacher thanking me for volunteering, assuring me that I am needed on Friday.

Quinn's class went to the nature centre yesterday and he disappointedly told me last night that he didn't see any snakes. Maybe there's hope yet!

We also get a montly newsletter from the school. On the first page of the newsletter all the students of the month are listed. I kind of scanned the list and it's a good thing because the student of the month for reading in Mlle. Dresser's class was none other than Darcy T! A couple of days later, Darcy brought home a student of the month for reading certificate. That's very exciting. We have noticed a huge difference in Darcy's approach to reading since she started school. She still can't "read" but she is really improving in knowing what letters make what sounds, and recognizing both upper and lower case letters in her books. We're really proud of her and we're glad to see that her teacher is seeing her hard work too. Great job, Darcy!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Good job, Darcy!

12:26 PM  
Blogger Sue-Ann said...

A little different post then mine today! :-) Way to go Darcy!

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home