Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Top Books of 2009

2008 and was a pretty rough year for me book-wise. I just couldn't find anything that I loved. 2009 was the complete opposite. I read a bunch of amazing books so I thought I'd borrow a page from my cousin, Glenn, and list them here.

The Godfather, Mario Puzo - I'm not really sure what made me read this. I saw a guy reading it on the bus in Montreal and it got me thinking about it. I didn't see myself as a mobster-type fan, but I have to say, I LOVED this book. The characters are amazing, the story is compelling and I asked for the book for Christmas so I can read it again. I've also discovered I love the movies. Who knew?
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Pie Society, Mary Ann Shaffer - This book was recommended to me by two different people within a few days of each other. That's usually a good sign. This was a quick read, but a really enjoyable World War II story.
Come, Thou Tortoise, Jessica Grant - Another recommendation from a friend and I had no idea what to expect when I picked it up. It made me laugh from beginning to end. This book had the most unique narrator I've ever encountered in a book. I totally loved her and the whole story.
Roots, Alexander Haley - I read this one after several members of my family did. I had no idea that the book claimed to be the actual lineage of Alex Haley. I really loved the book but that was a bit disappointed afterwards to find out that parts of it have been plagiarized and the whole claim about Alex Haley's lineage seem to have been debunked. It's sad really because it's a wonderful book about the power of people to overcome the worst life can throw at them.
The Book of Negroes, Lawrence Hill - Very similar to Roots in many ways, this Canadian book blew me away. You should read it, if you haven't already.
The Book Thief, Markus Zusak - This is another book about which I knew very little when I started reading it. Set in Germany during World War II it gives you a different perspective on the war than usual. Narrated by death, it deals with the power of words and books and people. Amazing stuff.
Wishin' and Hopin', Wally Lamb - I just got this book for Christmas and it's another one that made me laugh out loud constantly. It's a super-light but super-fun ready. It really needs to be made into a movie. It would be the next, "A Christmas Story". I loved it and may even have convinced Nick to read it too.

Disappointing books of 2009:
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith - I thought it might be a fun read. I was wrong. Really, really, wrong.
The Blythes are Quoted, L.M. Montgomery - This is a new book in the Anne of Green Gables series that has never been released in this form before. It is a series of short stories with Anne and her family brought in as minor characters. Each of the stories had been written on its own and then Anne and her family were added in later. I have previously read the short stories on their own and they were better as they were. The times when Anne and her family are mentioned seemed forced and often silly. It doesn't really do much to tell us anything more about the Blythes. I'm glad I read it, but I doubt I'll read it as often as I read the other Anne books.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the recommendations. Adding a few titles to my list.

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home