Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Heart Murmur

I'm not sure if I've posted about this here before or not...

About a month ago, Darcy was sick and I couldn't get her to her pediatrician. Our family doctor is just down the street so I took her to see him instead. He diagnosed an ear infection, which is what I was worried about, but also said he heard a heart murmur. Her pediatrician had never said anything about that. He said the infection could be making the murmur worse so we should bring her back when she healthy.

Nick did that before our vacation. The murmur was still there. Our doctor said she should see her pediatrician and probably be referred to a speciallist.

Heart murmurs are not unheard of in my family. Each of my siblings have them, but not me. Both of Lynn's kids have them too, but none of them are serious.

We got Darcy to the pediatrician this morning for her 3-year check up and to follow up on this heart murmur thing. The pediatrician heard it (why now when he had never heard it before?) And is sending her for more tests. We have to go for an "echo" at the hospital. Anyone know what that means? We don't. We're just waiting to hear back from his office to see when it will be scheduled.

He also still says she's not gaining weight fast enough. I can't imagine a child eating more than she does, most days. She looks like her Mommy. She's going to be small. It's not like Nick is an overly big guy either! We're not too concerned about that.

I also had a doctor's appointment this morning. Apparently my blood sugar is on the borderline of gestational diabetes. I have to go for another test to rule that out. I mentioned to her that I had done the test after 2 days of celebrating Darcy's birthday, with cakes each day. She said that could definitely have affected the outcome. I'll do the new test over the next couple of days. She also scheduled another ultra sound for July 17th. That is when we'll determine if the placenta previa has corrected itself or not. If not, then a c-section will be scheduled.

So it's been an interesting day, health-wise, for the Titcombes. I'll keep you posted on any updates!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Suey,

The "echo" is very simple thing. I almost fell a sleep when I had it. I guess it is the same kind of concept as an ultra sound. But you don't have to drink for it. If you can keep Darcy still you will be fine. My murmur is suppose to be fine. Yes I do have a heart. Just leaks.

Brian

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucas had the echo too. They had to sedate him because of his age, but Darcy should be fine, if she can be still, as Brian said. Only Steve went to that one.

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight, given the family weight history. Only one of us three kids has managed to put on weight (while NOT pregnant!!)

My 'borderline' blood sugar with Laura was controlled by exercise and diet, so that might not be a big issue either. I just had to walk 3 times a day!

11:18 PM  
Blogger Yvette said...

I had a heart murmur as well, which was only discovered when I was 15 and was at the doctor's when I had German measles. That's the first time anybody had heard it. I had to go for an echocardiagram too, but it was really nothing, other than being 15 and having to lay topless on a bed with a male doctor doing the echo! It really is like having an ultrasound. Same goo, same procedure. It's quite cool seeing your heart beating! After that, the only "precautions" I had to take were to take penicillin prior to going to the dentist and for a couple of days afterwards. Apparently getting an infection into the blood stream could be dangerous. But I never ever had any trouble and at some point just stopped taking the antibiotics at dentist time. When Kolina was born, I had my second echocardiagram and the heart murmur was gone. Try not to worry too much. So many people have heart murmurs.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sound advice from all of the above. Still, I'm thinking of you and hope it all turns out well.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Sue Matthews said...

Thanks everyone for your comments. It really helps to hear your "voices of experience".

I'll let you know when the echo is scheduled.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Sue-Ann said...

Sue, thinking of you guys...it's always worrisome when it comes to the kids...keep us posted!

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home