Sunday, April 27, 2008

More About Wesley

Poor little Wesley really isn't feeling well. He's got croup, and eye infection and several teeth coming in all at the same time. He finished his prescription for croup this morning so hopefully that will be cleared up soon. His eye is looking better but we need to keep up with those drops until Thursday.

As a result of the request for the Down Syndrome test I've been doing a lot of research about a few things. I've spoken to a woman I know whose son has DS. She confirmed for me just how unlikely it is that Wesley has it (which you already know anyway). The rational part of my brain can understand that, but the Mommy part of my brain won't be able to rest easily until we have the tests back.

With the difficult pregnancy I had with him I had countless tests done and probably around 20 ultra sounds. There was never anything that indicated the possibility for Down Syndrome. We also had a team from the NICU present in the delivery room and Wesley was thoroughly checked before he was given to us. I find it hard to believe that those experts would have missed something like that. He wasn't even sent to the NICU at the time and his response scores were at the top of the charts. The woman I spoke to said her son was tested immediately after birth because the signs were already there. I just can't believe it would have been missed on so many levels.

He does have an extra fold of skin under his eye, there's no question about that. The question is what does it mean? I did a google search for "extra fold of skin under baby's eye" and found out about a condition called epiblepharon which is essentially an extra fold of skin under the baby's eye which causes the eyelashes to rest on the surface of the eye, which they do. I've seen that this is what his eyelashes do and I remember Darcy's being the same way. Everything I've read said this will correct itself as the baby grows. Only very rarely does it require minor surgery to correct it. I think I will try to get him into the eye doctor this week to see if we can get a second opinion. It just seems much more likely that this is what we're dealing with.

I'm feeling better than I was on Friday, but like I said before I won't be completely at ease until the test results are back. Thanks for all your concern!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matthew has a I don't want to say cronic but maybe a consistent case of croup. Every time he gets a cold he has to go on puffers so croup doesn't start....ahhhh

I can imagine how freaked out you are about Wesley being tested for DS. I will pray for you in hopes that all turns out well. Maybe as I read further and get caught up you will already have an answer

Janice

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home