Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Rough Day

Darcy is really struggling with Nick being gone. She said a few things yesterday that were really hard for me to hear. In the grocery store we were talking about something else entirely and she said "I'll ask my Daddy". I reminded her that Daddy was gone away right now and she looked at me with these big, sad eyes and said "That makes me sad." Then she held up her arms for a big hug. Heartbreaking.

Then at home she said she didn't love Daddy anymore. "I no love my Daddy. I love Mommy." I explained to her that she should love Mommy and Daddy but she wasn't convinced.

I know some of you have had these times of separation while your kids were young. Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with these sorts of things? She still refuses to talk to Nick on the phone too. I just thought maybe some of you would have some ideas.

On a completely different note, watching "The Amazing Race" was a lot less fun without Nick. And Vipul and Arti, a team I thought had a lot of potential got eliminated in the first episode! I really think Peter and Sarah will be a good team to watch.

I was pretty disgusted with Lyn and Karlyn and how mad they got when Sarah pre-boarded the flight beause of the fact that she only has one leg. Do they not realize that pre-boarding cannot possibly give Sarah any sort of advantage in the race? Seats are already pre-determined. She's not flying out any earlier, she's just sitting on the plane longer. Get over it. If she was somehow getting to the front of the ticket line because of her leg, that would be a different story.

3 Comments:

Blogger nickt said...

Yes, hearing that my daughter doesn't love me and knowing that she doesn't want to talk to me makes me feel much better!

5:01 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Jonah used to really play strange when he was a toddler. Luckily he was a little older when Steve went up north to work, but it still took him a while to warm up to him again. It was like "you betrayed me and went away, now I'm going to pretend I don't know you". I can't imagine how hard it is for kids whose father really does leave them for good.

I think it's really hard for kids to understand the sadness they're feeling. Emotions are very complicated and this is only the beginning of the 'age of exploration' and self-awareness. It's not pleasant to feel sad, and it's harder for Darcy to understand that this will end and she won't be sad anymore. Maybe it's just Darcy's way of coping with the sadness; just push everything away. Maybe she equates 'love' with someone who is always with her.

I would just keep bringing Nick up; show her lots of pictures, let her know what he's doing. When you say you love her, say "and Daddy loves you too" Don't argue with her, just leave it at that; keep memories of Nick happy ones. Keep reminding Darcy (on the calendar) of the next time she will see Nick.

This is a hard time for you. There isn't a lot of encouragement I can give you, other than to remind you that 'this too will pass'. You'll be stronger for it.

Still praying for you!

Christina

11:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm with Crazy Christina on this. Words of wisdom.

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home