Friday, October 20, 2006

All The Little Ants Go Marching

I've got ants in my dishwasher. Has this happened to anyone before? The other day I noticed ants in the corner of my dining room where we keep the portable dishwasher (no room in the kitchen). I put some traps around and that seems to have cleared up the ants on the floor.

However, last night I noticed the bottom of my dishwasher was crawling with ants. I did a quick rinse cycle of the dishwasher and that seemed to get rid of them. I just went home for lunch and when I was putting my plate in the dishwasher I saw that the bottom was filled with ants again.

How do I get rid of these ants? How do I figure out where they're living? Can anyone help me?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had little red ants in the bottom of our cupboard and we sprayed with raid and they were gone.Now we have alot of spiders everywhere.

Donna

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Must be the time of year.

We had them by the back door the other week, and around the upper kitchen cupboards yesterday (YUCK!)

We used spray too(CIL, but probably the same as Raid). We sprayed by the back door last week, and Steve sprayed inside our bottom cupboards last night, to see if that's where they're coming from. I've only seen 2 today.

It just might be hard to use spray with a child in the house. Our kids are gated from the kitchen, so it's fine. Maybe spray while Darcy is in bed and it should be fine by morning--but read labels.

I've heard of sprinkling baby powder or cayenne pepper around entry points.

In your dishwasher--that's weird. If you do spray, maybe spray the corner behind the dishwasher, maybe all the way across that window wall, by the back door too.

Are they big or small?

That's about all I can offer!

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just buy a new dishwasher. Problem solved. I guess that's the last time I eat a meal at your place.

Uncle Ba

6:24 PM  
Blogger nickt said...

Great, Ba's going to buy us a new dishwasher! While you're at it, can you renovate the kitchen and make room for a built in, rather than the portable?

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The money is in the mail

Uncle Ba

1:44 AM  
Blogger kathryn said...

eeew! how on earth do they get where they get? I've never heard of them going into the dishwasher. . but i guess they can 'smell' those food bits? There are 'ant drops', but i don't know how they'd do with a dishwasher situation? The drops have poison in this special solution that the ants will drink and take back to the colony.

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home