Friday, December 01, 2006

It's That Time of Year

This sort of thing makes me terribly sad. I'm always amazed at the generosity of people through the Christmas season, but then I'm struck even more when the complete opposite happens. The other night over $5,000 of toys were stolen from the Salvation Army here in Windsor. These are toys that would be given to children whose parents can't afford to buy them gifts this Christmas. Fortunately, there are still a large number of toys remaining and some local businesses are already stepping up to the plate to make up for what was lost.

Of course, this isn't the only place where this has happened either. When I went online to try to find out more about our theft, I googled the words "Salvation Army toys stolen" and found a whole list of similar happenings across North America. How sad.

There have also been reports of people giving money at the door to people who claim to be collecting for various charities but in fact, they are not. I've done this in the past. Someone came to my door claiming to be collecting money for an organization that helps teens addicted to drugs. So I gave him some money, with the promise of a tax receipt and a golf shirt coming in the mail. Of course I never got those things. I didn't tell Nick about it for about two years.

I'm just afraid that these sorts of things will cause people to stop giving. Please, if you are able to give, find a charity that you trust and give in a way that helps you to know your money is going to the right place and being used in the right way.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is so sad that things that this happen...especially at Christmas.
I agree with Sue...please give if you can. You have no idea how much you can help someone with even just a little bit!!

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only saw it on a Toronto news ticker and wondered if it was the S.A. or another charity. The ticker only said Windsor.

That is sad that people take advantage of charities all the time.

I've heard several times of fake door to door campaigns. It makes it difficult for the legitimate charities. Especially when people claim to be from a legitimate charity and aren't.

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home