Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Train Wreck

We had a quiet evening at home last night and there wasn't much on TV. We ended up watching the train wreck that is "American Idol". I don't watch the show when they get down to the actual competition, but there's something about the audition round that fascinates me.

What makes these people audition? Is there no one in their life who has told them they're a terrible singer? I guess it's good that their friends and family believe in them, but can no one hear how terrible they are?

You know there are some people who know they're terrible and they try to play it up in hopes of becoming the next William Hung. Yet there are so many who truly believe they're the next American Idol. And they're awful! Truly awful.

Now, I love singing. If you ever put a microphone in my car you'd be treated to quite a concert. However, I know enough to know that I should never, ever, sing in front of people. It's just a fact. We're not all meant to be rock stars.

There was one girl last night who had already auditioned in Pasadena and didn't make it. Her boss believed in her so much that he flew her out to Minnesota to audition again. Guess what? She didn't make it again because she was still terrible. What a surprise!

I'm also interested in the songs people choose for these auditions. What makes someone choose "Under Pressure" by Queen & David Bowie? Great song to listen to, but it's not really going to showcase your vocal talents. I also loved when the terrible girl who sang this song said, "But I've got a degree in vocal performance!" Guest judge Jewel calmly replied, "They took your money."

10,000 people showed up for the audition, 17 made the cut to Hollywood.

3 Comments:

Blogger Yvette said...

I was wondering the very same thing after watching the Swiss version. I think some people are just plain stoopid (this is a step further than just being stupid). The audition shows are so bad! I watched the first show of the competition on Sunday and I guess I know nothing about singing because the people I thought were total crap got really high marks. Go figure.

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pretty much have the same opinion of American Idol as you. I sometimes watch the early auditions for a laugh, but quit when it gets serious. And it does get quite funny at times. Simon can be mean, but also funny.

I watched the second hour Wednesday night. The "Bush Baby" thing cracked me up. Again, very mean, but sorry guy, still funny.

As you & Why said, how is it so many of these people think they can sing, but are truly horrible? Or are many just looking for their 5 min of fame?

Still entertaining when there is nothing better on!

12:27 PM  
Blogger kathryn said...

yeah, train wreck for sure! but just like a wreck, you can't stop watching!!! We watch A.I. and C.I., all the way through -- its fun. I don't like it until it gets to the serious competition phase. . the initial phase, ugh. . i cringe and wince yet i can't look away. oh dear. . its strange. The American Dream? This so called dream really makes people do crazy things.

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home