Monday, December 04, 2006

Perfect December Night

It's lightly snowing outside, we're just starting to get a little bit of accumulation on the ground. It was enough to make driving pretty treacherous here in Windsor. The first real snowfall of the year is always pretty dreadful regardless of how much accumulates. Everyone forgets what to do and there are always lots of accidents.

I was supposed to go speak to our Beaver group tonight, but because of the snow, they cancelled the meeting. I was so glad! Nick is on the afternoon shift this week (4-12) so it meant that I was going to have to really make a fast supper and rush Darcy and I out the door again to get there on time. She was really excited about the snow and I had promised her that when it snowed we'd make snow angels.

I'm not sure where it came from, but she's had this fascination with snow angels over the last week or so. She's been making them wherever she goes, whether it's in the bathtub, in bed, or on the filthy floor of the shoestore. So I told her that when it snowed we'd go and make snow angels for real. When I picked her up tonight and she saw the snow her first response was, "Now we'll make snow angels." I didn't know my meeting was cancelled then, so I told her we didn't have time (and felt a knife cutting through my heart while I said it). We got home, got our coats and boots off and I got the message that our meeting was cancelled. So, before it got too dark we got her into her snowsuit and out we went. What a blast! She loved it and now our whole front yard is covered in snow angels.

Then after supper we made cookies. At first I was going to be super-brave and make ginger bread men (well not totally brave, it was bought Pillsbury dough), but it was getting late. The package had instructions for making ginger snaps as well, so we went with that. I made the dough into little balls and Darcy was in charge of coating them with sugar.

Things went swimmingly until she decided she wanted to start eating the dough. Where does this innate childhood fascination with eating cookie dough come from? And what happened to the promise I made to myself as a child that when I had kids I would let them eat as much cookie dough as they wanted?

As I dropped the balls into her little bowl of sugar for her to coat them she kept ripping off pieces of the balls and sneaking them into her mouth. Then when I wasn't getting the balls into the bowl fast enough she'd just take pinches of sugar and throw that in her mouth too. It was only an hour before bedtime so I had to take care of that fast!

So we made our snow angels and some delicious cookies. What a perfect way to spend a December night!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a perfect night to me!!
Melissa

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura has a snow angel obsession too. She doesn't do it much on the floor anymore, but we had snow tonight too and I'm expecting a long walk to school tomorrow! She'll be wanting to play all the way!

I think her obsession comes from "Little Bear" or one of the other shows.

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grandma always used to let Eric and me lick the chocolate chip cookie dough from the beaters when she made cookies at the cottage. Good times.

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does perfect really include me being at work? Ouch, talk about a knife through the heart!

To quote my father-in-law, "Thanks a lot!"

12:27 AM  
Blogger Yvette said...

Sometimes the simple things in life are what count.

3:04 AM  
Blogger kathryn said...

That was a delight to read, Sue!

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home