Thursday, June 21, 2007

Is It Wrong to Want to Run Over A Stranger With Your Shopping Cart?

Every Thursday we have a shared coffee break at work. We take turns bringing in snacks for everyone and today was my turn.

For once we got an early start today so I decided to stop at the grocery store around the corner from the babysitter's house and take Darcy with me. When we were coming out of the store, this older woman starts yelling at me that it's too early to have Darcy out at the grocery store, why do I have her out so early? What was I thinking?

For the record, it was 8:15.

There were so many things that I wanted to say, but didn't. Mostly because my daughter was with me and I didn't want her to see me react like that. I kindly mentioned to the woman (who doesn't know me from a can of Spam!!!) that in fact Darcy had woken me up this morning and she was more than ready for a trip to the grocery store.

What makes people think they can make comments like that to a complete stranger? I was pretty steamed. When I was a teenager working at a grocery store I used to wonder why people would drag their small children out of bed on Saturday mornings to be at the store when it opened. Now I know who is dragging who out of bed, and that Saturday morning before 9:00 is the best time to go to the grocery store.

She's lucky she didn't get a strawberry muffin thrown at her head.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The woman obviously hasn't lived with small children in a long time (or ever).

I have no idea why people feel it is their duty to tell you things like that. Especially if Darcy was being good and not causing a disturbance--not that she ever does! (People have no business saying anything if a child is causing a disturbance either!) If there is a problem, I think it should be left to a store manager to deal with, not fellow shoppers.

Some people are just like that, I guess. And you did the right thing by responding politely, no matter how hard it was! Being rude back just brings us down to their level.

How were the muffins?!

12:44 PM  
Blogger Sue Matthews said...

Darcy was just sitting in the cart, minding her own business. She may have been talking to me, but she certainly wasn't shouting or screaming. If she does anything when we're in the store, it's that she waves hello to everyone we walk past.

I'm glad I didn't throw a muffin at her though because they were delicious and that would have been a waste!

1:28 PM  
Blogger Sue-Ann said...

Seriously? I can't believe it! Kai gets me up at 6:00 a.m. most mornings, if I didn't have to be at work for 8:00 a.m. I'd run to the grocery store too! Some people just need to mind their own business I say!

2:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

No, it's not wrong to want to run over a stranger with your shopping cart. And I don't even have kids.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Yvette said...

Boy, you're a much nicer person than I would have been!

2:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home