Thursday, October 05, 2006

Thanksgiving Reflection

It's Thanksgiving this weekend, which always makes me reflect. Of course I have a lot for which I'm thankful, but today I'm reflecting about the day my daughter pooped so loud in the middle of Thanksgiving Day church that nearly everyone heard it.

It was two years ago and Nick and I were spending Thanksgiving in Cambridge with my family. Darcy was four months old. She had kept Nick and I up all the night before, so Nick stayed home from church to sleep. Steve had forgotten their diaper bag at home, so Lynn was at church alone with Laura as well.

Thanksgiving is normally a pretty joyful service at church, but a woman in the congregation there had just passed away in the week leading up to that Thanksgiving, so things were a little somber at this point in the service. I was holding Darcy as everyone was silent for a time of prayer when I suddenly felt her little body clench up. She was still being nursed 100% of the time then, she hadn't had any cereal or anything to that point. Moms, you'll know what I'm talking about here. All liquid in, all liquid out.

So, right in the middle of the prayer there is suddenly this loud, ripping "SQUIIIRRRT". Poor Darcy doesn't have any idea what is going on, but suddenly heads are ripping around all over the place to see what the source of that horrible noise was. Lynn and I were crying we were laughing so hard. My Dad and brother were sitting in the band and they both heard it. After the prayer I tried to slip out unnoticed which was hard because we were sitting at the front. When I got to the nursery, the pastor had sent someone out after me to make sure the door was unlocked so she clearly heard it too. Then when we went back into the service, my Aunt Joan walked past me during the offering time and leaned over and said "I heard that!". She was sitting at the back! Then when everyone was down in the nursery later, a woman I barely know saw us come in and said "Oh look, there's the girl who blew through her diaper!".

Even earlier this year I was at a youth conference, rooming with someone from that church and she was telling someone else there about the time my daughter pooped loud enough to disturb the whole service.

I'm very proud. I'm not normally one for bathroom humour, but that is always going to be one of my favourite Darcy stories. I'm holding onto it in case she ever gets married.

Anyone else have any happy Thanksgiving reflections?

7 Comments:

Blogger Yvette said...

I'll be reflecting on the fact that the Swiss don't celebrate Thanksgiving and I won't be having a turkey...

1:36 PM  
Blogger Sue Matthews said...

Oh no! I've got three scheduled for this year. One last weekend with my family, one today at work and one on Sunday with the Titcombes. Woo hoo.

I mean, sorry you're not having turkey.

1:39 PM  
Blogger markbraye said...

Sue, keep the bib in a special place for the next time we're at your place for supper.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Lynette Adams said...

This is Future Darcy. I want a new Mom - one without a Blog!

(Or Lynette would do because she's so flippin' cool)

5:55 PM  
Blogger Sue-Ann said...

That's a great story....I love it! Kai had a few of those incidents but we were never in a public place, luckily we were in the comfort of our own home!

8:26 AM  
Blogger kathryn said...

Suddenly this popped into my head:

"When you're sitting' in your chevy and your shorts are feelin' heavy. . ." LOL!!!

What a cool poo story!!! So funny!!! heh heh. . .

10:14 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Joshua did that at his dedication...right into the lapel mic.

Yeah, I'll keep that for his wedding too.

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home