Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Is Nick Coming Home Soon?

It just seems that there are so many things every day that make me more and more anxious for Nick to come home. Over the past 18 hours there have been two big things...

First of all was using the barbecue. If you've spent any time at our house during barbecue season you will know that Nick is the king of the barbecue. I never use it. Ever. Before Nick left he told me how to light it and wrote down some instructions on how long to cook different kinds of meat. Unfortunately, he never wrote down those lighting instructions.

Yesterday afternoon was beautiful so I decided that I'd do some hamburgers for supper. Darcy loves them and love hearing her say "hambooger". So I went outside with the butane lighter and got ready to go. I turned on the propane and then I couldn't get the lighter to light up. After a few attempts I ran inside to get a pack of matches. It took all of 15 seconds. Can you see where this is going? I got back outside, lit the match and as I was approaching the little hole I was trying to stick the match through, a huge fireball came at my head, nearly knocking me over. I wasn't hurt, but the smell of burning hair hit me pretty quickly. I ran inside and saw that a bunch of hair at the top of my head was all burnt up, as well as some on either side. It's really a miracle I wasn't hurt. My scalp is pretty itchy today, so I'm not sure what that means. I had to do a little bit of snipping to try to make my hair look reasonable again. I don't think you can tell anything from looking at my hair, but you might be able to in a few weeks when it starts growing back.

Then, Darcy woke up this morning at 4:45. Not cool. I left her in bed for 45 minutes but then she started calling me. My normal response to this would be "Nick, go in there and get her to go back to sleep." Instead I went into her room and told her it was night night time. She told me she had to go pee. She always uses her diaper at night time, so I don't why that wasn't good enough tonight. So, we went into the bathroom and while she was peeing she said "Mommy, I not awake." Well I certainly was! I left all the lights off and she thought it was pretty cool that she was going pee in the dark.

I took her back into her room and put a new diaper on her (In the dark. It was undone this morning when she got up. I don't know if I didn't do it up right or if she undid it.). I put her back in bed and didn't hear another peep out of her. I got back to sleep around 6:00 and then woke up at 6:30. I'm pretty exhausted today.

My poor burnt, tired head!

5 Comments:

Blogger Yvette said...

SUE! You're so lucky that you weren't seriously hurt! Oh my goodness! I refuse to light our gas BBQ for exactly that reason, and I'm always bugging Andy about whether he's SURE he turned off the gas. I have visions of him going out for a cigarette and BOOM! Stick to the frying pan, Sue!

9:55 AM  
Blogger nickt said...

Next Friday! Please make sure you are still there for me to see.

I woke at 6:10 today, but that was on purpose, to go for a run. It was a chilly one, only 6C here.

4:36 PM  
Blogger markbraye said...

Sue, you need to broaden your film horizons. I think SNAKES ON A PLANE would do it perfectly.

Say hey to Nick and Darcy for us.

5:31 PM  
Blogger kathryn said...

oh my gosh!!! this is why i never bbq either!!!! Rob does that. . i won't! I'll bet either you'll wanna conquer that thing or you'll never touch it again?!!! Darcy is such a cutie pie. . Isn't it great (most of the time!!) being a Mom?!!!

8:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Please. Step. Away. From. The. BBQ.

Maybe you should just wait until Nick gets home?

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home