Thursday, December 21, 2006

Santa Claus


I don't remember ever being afraid of Santa Claus. Maybe I just saw him as a free ticket to cool stuff so I didn't want to risk my chance at cool toys by being afraid. I didn't really know that kids were afraid of Santa until one Christmas when I was a teenager and I had a job as Santa's helper at a mall in Cambridge.

Parents were insistent that they get a picture of their child on Santa's lap, no matter what the child thought of it. I couldn't believe the number of kids who just went paralyzed with fear when they got near him. The screams I heard that Christmas surprised me.

Every year the day care that runs out of our church brings in someone to play Santa. It's usually a guy from the congregation who has quite a way with children. Yet every year there are some who just freeze when they walk into the room.

I love being in there when the toddler room children come in for a visit. There are generally two groups in this age group (18 - 30 months): those who love Santa and those who are petrified. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground. When they came in this morning, I was crouching down at the back of the room. One little girl, who I have never met before, came right over to me and sat down on my knee. She wanted to get as far away from Santa as she could. I tried to get her to relax a little bit and she even got so far as laughing when some of her friends went and sat on Santa's knee. But when they called her name to go and sit on Santa's knee she freaked. One of the teachers picked her up and carried her to Santa and she managed to sit there long enough to get her book and get out of there. The teacher put her back with the rest of the class but she got right up and came back to my knee to sit. I guess I look a lot more comforting than Santa!

We didn't even bother to take Darcy to see Santa last year. She had been terrified of her Halloween costume so we didn't see the point of forcing the issue with Santa. I gave it a try this year and she walked right up to him and jumped on his knee. We hadn't really explained to her about asking Santa for presents, so when he asked her what she wanted, she said "a snowman". He tried to talk her up to a doll, but she seemed pretty content with the snowman idea. However, I don't think that even Santa will be able to deliver a snowman this year in Ontario.

Now whenever we walk past Santa in the mall she wants to go back and see him again. I think it's because he gave her a candy cane ("Momma, it burns my mouth!) and a colouring book (she loves that).

I'm sure next year she'll have a lengthy list prepared for him. We'll enjoy this year while we can!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura's still apprehensive at 4 yrs old. We saw Santa at McDonald's the other week. She just stood beside him, and Daddy had to be right there. We didn't even try Lucas.

I don't get the obsession with HAVING to have the Santa picture at any cost either. Is it worth terrifying kids to get it?

We teach kids to stay away from strangers, yet every year expect them to welcome this large man with a red suit, beard etc. with open arms.

I'm not anti-Santa, but I don't think parents should push unwilling kids towards him.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

I haven't pushed the Santa issue at all either.

Santa, or Manta, as Miles pronounces it, is just kind of "there" for us. Sherri once mentioned that she didn't want to lie to her child, and after a moment's thought, I knew I didn't want to either. However, I don't want him to miss out on the fun.

My plan is for Miles to know the story of Santa, and be able to pretend Santa is real, but to not believe it. Santa is a good thing. Santa is a fun thing. Giving is a great thing. Receiving is a wonderful bonus. But teaching your child that Santa will bring you everything you want and dream of? That's not cool in my books.

SO

I have no plans to bring Miles to a formal Santa setting to have his picture taken. I'm pretty sure he'd cry anyhow. I did try to take him to the outlet mall to see Santa with his reindeer . . . but unfortunately I took him on the wrong day. So we got pictures with wooden reindeer and a plastic Santa instead. Miles still looked scared. : )

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home