Thursday, December 14, 2006

What's On Your Tree?

There are a lot of good things about being married to me, but I think Nick's favourite thing is that I come with a collection of Scarlett O'Hara Christmas tree ornaments. I'm not even sure how many of them I have, but there are several. I've got all her different costumes from the movie. I love them. They're starting to duplicate her dresses now, so I've stopped buying them, but I've got a pretty good collection.

Nick hates them. I can't imagine why. Of course I'm not a big fan of the three identical Montreal Expos ornaments he has either. Or Princess Leia or the Ewoks. I think we're pretty even.

Our tree doesn't have a theme or anything like that. It's just a bizarre mix of different ornaments. Before we got married my tree was entirely Disney. I still have a lot of those ornaments, but they're not the only thing on the tree anymore. It was good this year though when Darcy was helping me decorate the tree to have some plush Mickey and Minnie ornaments for her to play with. They're also on the bottom of the tree, in case she feels the urge to play with the tree or take ornaments off. No wire hooks and nothing breakable on the bottom section.

Also in the past few years we've added some "Baby's First Christmas" type of ornaments and this year we added Darcy's first homemade ornament. It's a little reindeer made out of popsicle sticks. Very cute. I tried taking a picture of it, but it didn't work. I'll try again. I'm sure we'll be adding more of her creations each year.

Any other interesting tree decorations out there?

7 Comments:

Blogger Krista said...

I don't have any interesting ornaments on my tree this year, but I think the German tradition of hiding a pickle ornament on the tree is worth mentioning here. I'm not German, but I think this is a tradition worthy of continuing!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_pickle

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite ornament is my Snow White ornament from my very forst Christmas...I still hang it on my tree every year.
I also love my kids homemade ornaments. I save them all...the tree is getting quite full!

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering why Scarlett wasn't on your birthday/Christmas list, but kept forgetting to ask!

Well, our tree isn't up yet. We've been to both sets of grandparents with trees up and at each (as expected) Lucas went right for the tree. Tossing balls is his favourite so far! We're waiting until the last minute to put ours up.

When it is up, we have a lot of hand-me-downs which have actually replaced our own ornaments.

One interesting thing my in-laws put on their tree every year though is, a star shaped Santa made out of construction paper. Steve made it in grade 3! It has survived this long!

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No tree. No decorations. Yes, you can call me Scrooge, my mother does.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Yvette said...

Krista, yeah, I've noticed the pickle too! I live in Switzerland and have seen numerous pickle tree ornaments. I don't own one though!

Sue, your tree sounds like a mix of memories, which is what I think a Christmas tree is all about. I splurged a couple of years ago on new balls in only 2 colours, some with a bit of extra decoration like sparkly squiggles, and I'm glad things actually match. I tossed the vile balls we bought our first Christmas together. For some reason I felt the need for purple balls...

Stef, I prefer the name Grinch.

2:06 AM  
Blogger kathryn said...

great post idea, Sue! I love that you have Scarlett O'Hara stuff!!! I have an Elvis tree ornament (he sings "Blue Christmas". . i have handmade stuff from when my girls were little! (cinnamon sticks with faces and 'Santa outfits') -- adorable! I have a few ornaments from when Rob and i bought out first year married decorations at White Rose 25 years ago! We have a Christmas 'tree train'. It puffs real smoke, has a working light and whistle. . its so cute. My favourite thing is the gold star topper that we cannot bear to throw out -- its made from cardboard, covered in Cadbury's Caramel Bar wrappers and a pencil for a frame, joining the cone base and star together. . Rob and the girls made that ages ago - our other ornament had broken (it was a fussy blown glass, spire-topped thing. Our chocolate bar wrapper star sounds really lame. . but its beautiful to us!!!!

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Ann said...

LOL! I love the bit about you and Nick "being even". Actually, there are a TON of Star Wars Hallmark Ornaments available! Have you seen all of them? There might be 100 of them now. At least he doesn't have a talking Darth Vader ornament, or even worse, Obi-Wan Kenobi chopping off an alien's arm on the tree! That is what my husband wants this year, to go along with all of the other ugly aliens he has. I don't mind the "normal" Star Wars characters, or the ships ... but some of the newer aliens are a bit over the top. Just be thankful the worst thing you have to deal with is a few little Ewoks :)

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home