Tuesday, December 19, 2006

So Cold!

I am constantly being teased because I am always cold. People tend to blame it on the lack of "meat on my bones". I blame it on everywhere just being cold.

We have an old house. We're not sure exactly how old, but I'd say it was built around the 1920's or 30's. I'm not sure what I'm basing that on though. It's old and it's cold. The main floor is reasonable, but both the family room in the basement and the bedrooms upstairs are really cold.

Last night Nick was trying to convince me that I wasn't wearing enough layers. Aparently two long-sleeved shirts aren't enough. He was convinced the house was 70 degrees, I disagreed. (Sorry, we're so Americanized here in Windsor that we tell the temperature in Farenheit.) Maybe around the thermostat it was 70 degrees but not anywhere else. He has a desk clock on his dresser that also serves as a thermometer so we checked it out to settle the matter. It was 65 degrees in our bedroom. That's 18 degrees Celsius. That's too cold for inside.

We then went into Darcy's room to check on her before bed. She was lying horizontally in her bed. When Nick went to straighten her out he noticed that her pillow was wet. Her hair had been dry when we went to bed, so we knew that wasn't the issue. We looked at the pillow and there was a big circle of sweat covering it. Her hair was all wet. The poor little thing! She's only got a top sheet and a comforter on her bed and fairly thin pyjamas. I don't know what to do with this kid.

Nick then said our house is clearly too warm at night. That certainly can't be it.

Is it normal for a kid to sweat that much in the middle of December?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily is the same way. She sweats all year long at night. She wears a tank top to bed right now and only has a sheet and comforter and is usually sweating. Her problem is she will sweat and then get cold because she is wet.

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention...you would hate sleeping at our house...we turn he heat down to 16 overnight!! I love it cold!!

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CJ sweats like crazy too! I just chalked it up to him being like his daddy! :-) Greg sweats like crazy.

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a similar house situation, with maybe even less insulation than yours.

I think we set our furnace down to 17C at night. Not sure what the actual room temperatures reach. Lucas has a space heater, because he doesn't keep blankets on yet.

I often have to get out of the comforter, but Steve is usually cold or comfortable.

Laura sweats a lot too. And her room seems the coldest. Can't tell sometimes for a minute if she's sweaty or 'wet'.

Guess some of us retain heat while others don't!

It's pretty cold when you get up in the morning though!

12:47 PM  
Blogger kathryn said...

wow. . some brave people turning things down to 16 of 17 degrees at night!!! gah! I can't really do that if i want my piano to stay in tune!!! So, I try to keep things pretty even. . 71 degrees. . at the lowest 70. . never lower. I know i'm really cold when my nose is cold!!! (and my fingers). . I use a space heater when i work - my work station is in the coldest room of our house. brrrr!!

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home