Thursday, January 25, 2007

What Are You Thinking?

I just popped over to the local mall for some lunch. While I was there, I saw something that terrified me greatly, and so here I am.

As the parent of a toddler, I feel I can safely write this. Seeing as how the parents of the toddler I will refer to have no idea who I am, I feel even safer in writing this.

There was a girl there, approximately Darcy's age who was there with what seemed to be her mother, grandmother and younger sister. The baby was only a few months old and spent most of the time in the stroller or in her mother's arms. The toddler, however, was running around all over the place. She would get 20 or so metres away from her mother and nothing would be said. In fact, the mother had her back turned to the little girl most of the time. The grandmother was facing in the direction where the girl was running, but she wasn't saying anything.

This sort of thing just scares me so much. I've been fascinated over the past couple of weeks watching the story of those two boys in Missouri who were abducted, but miraculously found and returned to their families. It makes me want to hold Darcy so closely to me. She's the kind of kid who would approach any stranger anywhere and strike up a conversation and it scares me to no end. If I didn't keep an eye on her while we're out, she could easily walk away with someone. I saw a lot of those characteristics in this little girl. She had personality coming out her ears. She was as cute as can be. She was talking to people walking past her.

I just find watching something like this to be so upsetting. It's a dangerous world out there. Please, keep your kids close by.

7 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

My biggest is fear is someone taking my kids. I can honestly tell you that I still hold my kids hands at the mall and they are 11 and 8. I cannot let them out of my sight.
I agree with you....keep your kids close, you never know who is out there!!!
Melissa

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never knew you were pregnant again! That's so exciting! You didn't tell me when I was at home did you? I also did not know that there was going to be an All-Star Amazing Race. That's cool! I love that show!

7:47 PM  
Blogger Yvette said...

My kids getting abducted is my greatest fear too. I can't understand how some parents can be so easy-going about their kids. They probably assume it can't happen to them. I'm lucky to live in Switzerland, where the abduction rate is very low. My kids can play outside, wait outside while I pop into a store, go dog walking, etc on their own. When I'm back in Canada, I'm constantly on edge and assume bad things lurk at each corner. It's a shame our world has come to that.

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, that does sound scary.

I'm pretty paranoid about having my kids out in public too. Laura's already at a stage where she won't hold hands unless she is crossing the road.

I dread the day they start walking to school on their own, going out with friends etc. And of course to them, it'll feel like 'evil mom' not letting them have any fun!

8:23 PM  
Blogger Yvette said...

Me again. I watched an episode of CSI Miami last night that revolved around Spring Break and all the booze, drugs and sex that that entails. When I was a teenager, I would have given anything to be a part of that scene. I mean come on, it was COOL! Seeing it last night as a mother, my toes just curled. Imagine your daughter being a part of that? Being drunk out of her skull, getting raped (or worse) on a beach? I'm not letting Kolina out of the house till she's 40!

6:12 AM  
Blogger kathryn said...

out in public also includes the internet -- i'm paranoid with this also. The internet didn't exist when my kids were growing up, but even though they're in their 20s now, i still worry about them now that they drive, live in their own homes (one on campus in another city), i worry about freaks or weirdos reading their blog/viewing their myspace and face page -- i worry about my grandkids now being out in public, and i worry about their safety to the point that i don't like to post pictures on my blog of their faces. I always try to use a shot from the back, or in profile, so that unsavoury people can't see their faces. I have a Flickr account that i don't leave open to the public. Life in this world is about constant guarding. . . no matter how old your kids are, you worry - and when you have grandkids your worry multiplies.

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I noticed that a lot when I worked at that mall. Especially with working in a children's clothing store. People just let their kids run around and do whatever they want. I've actually had to help some kids find their parents after they'd leave the store without them!

2:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home