Thursday, November 02, 2006

Stop Thief!

I work from home on Wednesdays. Most of my time is spent in preparation for the Kids' Club that I lead on Wednesday nights. During the day yesterday I realized that I needed some supplies for last night's craft, so I packed Darcy up and we headed off to Dollarama.

Right near where we were shopping they had these cute little purses which drew Darcy's attention right away. I figured that it was only a dollar, so I told her we'd get one for her. She was pretty excited. Plus, I had dropped her candy on the floor as we were walking into the store, so I felt kind of bad about that, so I thought this would be a good gesture of apology.

So we got up to the front of the store and I was paying for the craft supplies I needed. I have to submit a receipt for that purchase, so Darcy's purse had to be paid for separately. It got a little confusing at the cash register and Darcy didn't want to give up her purse so I could pay for it, so the cashier just let her hold it while I paid for it.

We left Dollarama (Dollarsama as Darcy calls it) and went home. When we got home, I was putting her sunglasses inside her new purse when I noticed there was already something inside it. I opened up the purse and found a cigarette lighter! I just about died.

"Darcy, where did this come from?"
"Dollarsama"

OK, as long as we're both on the same page.

Before my siblings post this in their comments, I did a similar thing when we were children. When we were on vacation in Washington DC we stopped at a street vendor to buy souvenirs. I picked out a novelty coin I wanted to buy for my "baby brother" and Dad was paying for it. I picked up the coin I wanted and put it in Dad's pocket. What I didn't know was that Dad had already picked out a coin that he had paid for. When we got back to the car, Dad sat down and found the coin in his pocket. He wasn't happy.

So, like Mother, like Daughter, I guess.

As a bed update, Darcy got out of her bed yesterday afternoon during her nap. This morning, however, she stayed in bed and waited for me to get her out again. I guess she has different rules for nighttime and naptime.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh. These stories get better all time!

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is sooo cute that Darcy would do somehting almost the same as you.It sure is like mother like daughter.I think i remember stealing something as well.Must be a Haskell thing.

Donna

10:32 AM  
Blogger Yvette said...

You know what I just realised? My kids have never stolen anything...that I know of!

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, you know we'd bring up the coin, if you hadn't! My mind went right to that, even before I got to that part of the blog!

Lighter...does she have your fire fascination too?!

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home